Too pretty for firewood

Stinkpickle

Minister of Fire
Jan 13, 2015
Iowa
If I had any decent woodworking skills, I would feel bad about some of the walnut like that I’ve burned up.

FramerJ

Mar 18, 2021
Missouri
If I had any decent woodworking skills, I would feel bad about some of the walnut like that I’ve burned up.
Exactly. I split that first round and was like "Whoa". Then the wife comes out and says "we cant be burning that. Its too pretty, make something with it". Not sure what exactly Im supposed to make out of a bunch of 10" rounds that are 18" long.

Bad LP

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2014
Northern Maine
Exactly. I split that first round and was like "Whoa". Then the wife comes out and says "we cant be burning that. Its too pretty, make something with it". Not sure what exactly Im supposed to make out of a bunch of 10" rounds that are 18" long.
Too late now.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH
I had a twin red maple that I needed to remove one of them. So I started up the saw and dropped it then bucked it. I then went to split it and it was solid curly figure. Very expensive firewood. As Homer says Dooh!. Had I known I could have gotten some nicely figured boards. The twin that I left is in vulnerable spot to my plow guy but when he hit it once it scraped off some bark and it looks to me like its got the same figure. I try to protect it and just letting it grow as long I can. Its got a bit of a sweep to the log but still might make some fine boards.

Reactions: D8Chumley and NickW

SpaceBus

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2018
Downeast Maine
I had a twin red maple that I needed to remove one of them. So I started up the saw and dropped it then bucked it. I then went to split it and it was solid curly figure. Very expensive firewood. As Homer says Dooh!. Had I known I could have gotten some nicely figured boards. The twin that I left is in vulnerable spot to my plow guy but when he hit it once it scraped off some bark and it looks to me like its got the same figure. I try to protect it and just letting it grow as long I can. Its got a bit of a sweep to the log but still might make some fine boards.
Could also sell the wood as blanks for lathes and other small projects.

Same goes for the OP's rounds, take them to someone with a lathe and have a bunch of really nice walnut stuff.

Reactions: NickW

BigJ273

Feeling the Heat
Feb 15, 2015
Maryland
Tell her you are making something with it....heat.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
Black walnut and I will burn a lot of it next year. I have put 6 Nissan truck loads of black walnut in the wood shed in the past 2 months.

MongoMongoson

Feb 6, 2021
Wisconsin
No harm done. It is pretty when it burns, too. I have read that it doesn't throw many sparks but I find that the black walnut I burn does pop and spark a bit, but that's relative. It doesn't spark like mulberry, but more than most of what I burn.

I have burned a bunch of it. Most of the black walnut I get has been from someone's yard or along the edge of a field. Lots of branches, not so straight... so it isn't really worth much except for firewood.

I seem to get a lot of very white fluffy ash with black walnut.

There is more than one way to enjoy a pretty wood, and one way is to warm your house with it. Now you know what you are looking at for next time. If you have the skills and equipment, you can make some boards. I'll just keep burning mine!

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Its black walnut. Medium heat firewood. One armload in the stove, one bucket of ash out. :p

EbS-P

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2019
SE North Carolina
You could always make a bowl. I made this one with a planer head on my right angle grinder. It’s not gonna win any contests but as a proof of concept I’m ready to invest a bit more time and money to make some more. But again at some point it’s just best to burn it.

28417B28-AB36-4C7F-9AEA-38AB19EF8A1A.jpeg ED6F2191-C977-409F-A3CE-718F8DF30604.jpeg

hickoryhoarder

Minister of Fire
Apr 5, 2013
Indiana
Definitely black walnut. And I'd be wondering if someone locally could use it to make lumber, bowls, or something.

My grandfather made a whole set of furniture from walnut around 1930, from his dad's farm. I still have it, and it looks like it'll go another 200 years.

Reactions: Grizzerbear