Too pretty for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FramerJ

Mar 18, 2021
Missouri
Just got a truckload of this. Im guessing its black walnut but maybe a hickory species like pignut? You could split it with a dull butterknife.

20210331_182847.jpg
20210331_184554.jpg
20210401_163408.jpg
1617328850666.png

20210331_182847.jpg 20210331_184554.jpg 20210401_163408.jpg

If I had any decent woodworking skills, I would feel bad about some of the walnut like that I’ve burned up.

If I had any decent woodworking skills, I would feel bad about some of the walnut like that I’ve burned up.
Exactly. I split that first round and was like "Whoa". Then the wife comes out and says "we cant be burning that. Its too pretty, make something with it". Not sure what exactly Im supposed to make out of a bunch of 10" rounds that are 18" long.

Oh man, I’d have to mill up some boards out of that. How cool of shelves in a custom cabinet those would make
If I had any way of getting some larger pieces of that in my truck, I would. Its gorgeous stuff.

Exactly. I split that first round and was like "Whoa". Then the wife comes out and says "we cant be burning that. Its too pretty, make something with it". Not sure what exactly Im supposed to make out of a bunch of 10" rounds that are 18" long.
Too late now.

I had a twin red maple that I needed to remove one of them. So I started up the saw and dropped it then bucked it. I then went to split it and it was solid curly figure. Very expensive firewood. As Homer says Dooh!. Had I known I could have gotten some nicely figured boards. The twin that I left is in vulnerable spot to my plow guy but when he hit it once it scraped off some bark and it looks to me like its got the same figure. I try to protect it and just letting it grow as long I can. Its got a bit of a sweep to the log but still might make some fine boards.

Reactions: D8Chumley and NickW
I had a twin red maple that I needed to remove one of them. So I started up the saw and dropped it then bucked it. I then went to split it and it was solid curly figure. Very expensive firewood. As Homer says Dooh!. Had I known I could have gotten some nicely figured boards. The twin that I left is in vulnerable spot to my plow guy but when he hit it once it scraped off some bark and it looks to me like its got the same figure. I try to protect it and just letting it grow as long I can. Its got a bit of a sweep to the log but still might make some fine boards.
Could also sell the wood as blanks for lathes and other small projects.

Same goes for the OP's rounds, take them to someone with a lathe and have a bunch of really nice walnut stuff.

Reactions: NickW
Tell her you are making something with it....heat.

Black walnut and I will burn a lot of it next year. I have put 6 Nissan truck loads of black walnut in the wood shed in the past 2 months.

No harm done. It is pretty when it burns, too. I have read that it doesn't throw many sparks but I find that the black walnut I burn does pop and spark a bit, but that's relative. It doesn't spark like mulberry, but more than most of what I burn.

I have burned a bunch of it. Most of the black walnut I get has been from someone's yard or along the edge of a field. Lots of branches, not so straight... so it isn't really worth much except for firewood.

I seem to get a lot of very white fluffy ash with black walnut.

There is more than one way to enjoy a pretty wood, and one way is to warm your house with it. Now you know what you are looking at for next time. If you have the skills and equipment, you can make some boards. I'll just keep burning mine!

Its black walnut. Medium heat firewood. One armload in the stove, one bucket of ash out. :p

You could always make a bowl. I made this one with a planer head on my right angle grinder. It’s not gonna win any contests but as a proof of concept I’m ready to invest a bit more time and money to make some more. But again at some point it’s just best to burn it.

28417B28-AB36-4C7F-9AEA-38AB19EF8A1A.jpeg ED6F2191-C977-409F-A3CE-718F8DF30604.jpeg

Definitely black walnut. And I'd be wondering if someone locally could use it to make lumber, bowls, or something.

My grandfather made a whole set of furniture from walnut around 1930, from his dad's farm. I still have it, and it looks like it'll go another 200 years.

Reactions: Grizzerbear