mar13 Posted By mar13, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:24 AM

1. mar13

mar13
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 5, 2018
    Loc:
    Humboldt coast, California
    Highbeam made a comment in another thread where he said he was thinking wood can be too dry. That had me think back to my puzzlement over the following statement from a Jotul manual I read on the web. From Jotul manual: "Wood that has been air-dried for a period of 6 to 14 months will provide the cleanest, most efficient heat. Wood seasoned more than 2 years will burn too quickly to take advantage of the stove’s low end efficiency strength."

Now, I'm not talking extremes here. Not wood that is sitting in the high desert for a long time or some softer wood like alder than doesn't seem to age well. Or wood that is kiln dried to sub 10% mc. But what about, say, oak that is stored outside in a shed? I have oak that is probably 4-5 years seasoned. Am I losing significant BTU just from time alone while it sits in the stacks? (Perhaps oxidation -just throwing that word out with knowing its true meaning - if that's possible with wood?) Maybe Jotul is talking about birch or some softer hardwood found in Norway, as I think is true with Alder?

I do know, I'd rather error on the dry rather than moist side.

Anyhow, this post is from somebody who used to think the older the wine the better...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. weatherguy

weatherguy
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 20, 2009
    Loc:
    Central Mass
    Depending on where you live it's only going to get so dry being outside, top covered. If you put it a kiln say a solar kiln it could get too dry and not burn as efficient as the stove is designed. Your oak should be ok.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Wood will eventually settle depending ambient humidity. Early this spring I tested a doug fir split that is 3 yrs old vs a split that is 1 yr old. Both were in the 17-18% range. As I noted in the Jotul thread I think Jotul must be referring to very thin splits. A 4"+ oak split is going to take some time to dry. And as damp as the east coast has been 2 yrs is the norm.

Alpine1 likes this.
  4. twd000

twd000
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Aug 28, 2015
    Loc:
    Southern New Hampshire
    Aren't all these stoves tested using kiln-dried 2x4's?

5. Kevin Weis

Kevin Weis
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Mar 3, 2018
    Loc:
    Union Bridge, Md
    Apparently there is such a thing as too dry wood as it would off gas to fast to be pulled through the stoves cat and burned that instead accumulates in the firebox and "explodes" there creating back puff conditions (smoke in the room). This is more of a danger I think if the splits are small in size.

6. lsucet

lsucet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2015
    Loc:
    San Ysidro, New Mexico
    I don't know on different stoves but on mines is normal to burn pine that is 7 to 8 % of MC and the experience is quite good. Initial hot burn, dial it low and the cat gives good heat and when the thermostat opens the cat brings back to temp everything quick. I think is related to not too much moisture to deal with and most is BTUs.

7. Woody5506

Woody5506
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Feb 14, 2017
    Loc:
    Rochester NY
    I've heard of the "too dry" theory but meh, I'd rather burn too dry than too wet.

One of the best fires I ever had in my T5 was with some ash that was near 20 years split.

Alpine1 likes this.
  8. SeanBB

SeanBB
    Burning Hunk 2.
    NULL

Aug 15, 2016
    Loc:
    Wales
    I have been burning wood to heat my home for many years and I have never had a problem with wood that is too dry.
    The only problems I have had are:
    Not dry enough
    Not enough dry wood

heavy hammer, lsucet and Alpine1 like this.
  9. Alpine1

Alpine1
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Eastern Alps, Italy
    Every % increment in relative humidity decreases stove BTU output. The drier the better, unless we’re talking old fashioned wood stoves without cats or secondary burn sistem. In that case, the super dry wood can off gas faster than the wood stove ability to burn the released combustible. But I don’t think that’s the case. I totally agree with the OP, I’d rather error on the dry side than the moist one.

johneh likes this.
  10. johneh

johneh
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 19, 2009
    Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Never had it to dry the drier the better . I have burnt
    cut offs a waist wood from my wood shop at 6 to 8 %
    Kiln dried no problem. Never heard of wood being to dry
    Now to wet !!!!!!!

11. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    I have definitely noticed with my stove that if it is super dry, I get a lot of puff back and it will burn really hot for a while then puff back. I had a load of cedar and pine that got my temps as high as I have ever seen them in the Cat, and it was hard to control. It also didn't burn for super long.

12. lsucet

lsucet
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

May 14, 2015
    Loc:
    San Ysidro, New Mexico
    Possibly related to how different stoves handle low MC wood. That is what I burn, 70 to 80% softwood and kind of dry cause in the area I live it can get real low on MC. No problems here controlling it plus getting decent amount of hours of usable heat.

13. Dobish

Dobish
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Oct 26, 2015
    Loc:
    Golden CO
    Once it off stabilized it was fine, but I was looking at roughly 6 hours compared to 10 for higher MC wood. I found that I would get much longer burn times if I mixed in a little bit of less dry wood.

14. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I think the drier the better. You would think that a certain point the wood will only be able to get so dry unless other factors are thrown as stated above. Just my thought.

15. Woodsplitter67

Woodsplitter67
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jan 19, 2017
    Loc:
    Woolwich nj
    You can have wood that is to dry. I let my wood sit in the kiln one year to long. My cherry was at 2% MC and also my oak was sub 10%. The wood went up quick, and it was hot. I think the optimal rangeis like 18 to 14 % mc.

heavy hammer likes this.
  16. heavy hammer

heavy hammer
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2015
    Loc:
    Kirtland Ohio
    I have never used a kiln before so I would agree with Woodsplitter67 in this case you probably could have wood to dry. I was just assuming if split and stacked and out in the elements the wood will only become so dry.

17. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I think my problem was top covering stacks on pallets. The sides always get wet because wind and because water runs off of the top cover onto the sides of the stacks. Each year the wood would get dry but the winter wetness caused a sort of punkiness. Old wood was very dry but very light weight having lost mass.

Maybe staying totally dry in my shed there will be no such thing as “too old”.

heavy hammer likes this.