took 2 damaged oaks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osagebow

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2012
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Finally turned my attention to "year 3" wood and took down 2 oaks. this section of woods has been off limits to the kids due to this big limb that cracked on this big oak back in the october '11 ice storm.​
- notice how persistent the leaves are when a limb dies before the chemical cues from the tree tell it to drop the leaves. Dicey to cut down, used some osage felling wedges on this.​
**Thanks whoever suggested making those;)
Sorry no "before" pic, i was too focused on the game. . That limb was like the sword of Damocles, and the trunk was leaning a good bit. Very relieved to get it down. this is the busted limb, leaves and our house up the hill.​
temporary_zpsc5e411cc.jpg
temporary_zpse09fe69f.jpg
closeup of broken limb - was about 15' up at the break.​
temporary_zps5324e839.jpg
Mostly bucked up​
temporary_zpsb9b30299.jpg
tree # 2. Much easier to fell, top not dangerous but busted and raggedy . Might put some apple trees in this area now, nice hole in the canopy. took out 4 standing dead 6 inch trees as well. Most were topped in the ice storm and didn't make it.​
temporary_zps85e9c408.jpg
Slightly cleaner stump on this one.​
temporary_zpsf8822172.jpg
2 18" or so oaks, and 4 dead standers each at about 6 inches X 10 feet....Should be pushing 2 cords possibly?​

That will surely be some good stuff for year 3.....nice looking place you have there.

PRIMO fire wood! ! :)
Both white oak?
Great job knocking them to the ground.

Nice pictures. They tell a good story of a good days work ;)

You have some nice firewood, nice job.

2 oaks + 3 years = Awesome firewood! Nice work!

Reactions: ScotO
I'm guessing 1 1/2 to 2 cord there, after you C/S/S the wood. Looks like a nice area to cut, and it's good to get that widowmaker down, especially for the kids' sake.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Good you got those down Osage. You might want to drop your back cut down a bit though as it is a bit too high. 2" is plenty.

Reactions: ScotO
Good you got those down Osage. You might want to drop your back cut down a bit though as it is a bit too high. 2" is plenty.

Duly noted backwoods, thanks!

PRIMO fire wood! ! :)
Both white oak?
Great job knocking them to the ground.

Nice pictures. They tell a good story of a good days work ;)

Thanks!.. Yes both WO along with most of the smaller ones. There is also a fallen punky hickory there to the right of the saw handle. I can split a bit of decent wood out of it, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.