took the plunge this morning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cvanhat

Jul 3, 2008
upstate ny
and joined the gasification crew. ordered and paid for a EKO 60. probobly be the best $7300 bucks i ever spent. now i just have to figure out where i am going to situate it in the garage. how hot do these boilers get on the outside?? what kind of clerances should it have?? thanks

There's very little heat lost through the insulation and shroud. The chimney connector is the hottest part, and it's usually only around 400 or less.

The clearances listed in the manual are 18 inches on the sides and 36 inches front and back and 36 inches on the top. I have my 60 in a cinderblock boiler room, and I have about an inch of clearance on the sides. More between the front and back and the steel doors on each end, but not 36".

You may find that local fire codes as well as insurance regulations prohibit any kind of wood burning appliance in a garage. I think the concern is about open flames and gasoline in the same space. Some folks are partitioning off part of the garage as a way to deal with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.