Top Auger Jams Constantly on Englander Pellet Sove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a brand new Englander 25-PDV pellet stove.

I am burning Premium 100% recycled hardwood pellets (DRY)

I have not yet burned six full bags of pellets. I have not burned through a whole 40lbs bag of pellets without top auger becoming jammed.

The top auger has jammed 10 times

I have had to remove top auger six of the ten times to free the jam, I have followed alignment procedures set forth in trouble shooting PDF. Top auger continues to jam.

I have even switched top motor to bottom thinking it could possibly be the culprit, the top auger continues to jam.

I have been unable to reach the customer service folks by phone. It is always busy.

I am a licensed Heating Tech. Though I have no experience with pellet stoves until now.

I am beginning to think there is a design flaw with this model.

Can someone help me???

Has anyone else out there experienced this problem?

I was jammin like crazy 2 weeks ago with my Glowboy insert until I realised the pellets were too long for the stove to handle. Some were over 2" long.
I started breaking them up in the sifter frame I built. No more jams. Try another brand of pellets if need be.

I have never had a jam on my Englander Stove. It's not the same model, but uses the same motors and feed system. I would definitely think the pellets are too long.

Yep. Number one cause of top auger jams on'em is pellets that are too long. You probably hear a lot of crunching sounds when it is running.

I am having the same problem. Could someone suggest the ideal size for pellets and then let me know how to make my 65 bags of pellets this size. :0

There are five fuel characteristics prescribed for both grades:

1. Bulk density per cubic foot (0.028 cubic meters) shall not be less than 40 pounds (18 kg)
2. The diameter shall be 1/4 to 5/16 inch (635-794 mm)
3. Maximum length shall be 1 and 1/2 inches (254-127 mm)
4. Fines (dust) of not more than 0.5% by weight shall pass through a 1/8 inch (317.5 mm) screen
5. Sodium content shall be less than 300 parts per million (ppm).

--------------------

cholab,
your pellets should be that size already. It is ridiculous for homeowners to have to cut pellets!
Do the bags specify that it meets the PFI standards? If so, your first call should be to the manufacturer of the pellets. If there are 2" pellets then they are selling defective goods.

Hi
I had the same problem and went through the same procedures as you have been doing. I have not dared to put the back of my stove back on yet, because I have had so many auger problems. Sometimes I can just work the top auger motor back and forth, enough to free up the bound pellets. Other times I've had to take out the auger and clean things out.
This problem has only occured on one brand of pellets. All others have burned fine. Try a different brand of pellets just to see if that may be the problem. Green Team from Lowes has been the best yet for me. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.