Top covered last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I stacked mine single row this year this year and just covered the top with a 3inch over hang . Last night as I was in bed and heard the rain I wondered if my wood was staying dry and worked out great nice and dry . I folded the tarp so I could just roll it down later . I estimated moving my wood 7 to 8 times before it even gets burned I told a non burning friend that and he said **** that this is the same guy who told me burning wood was a novelty LOL!
Burn on....

JotulOwner said:
I know that there is a lot of controversy regarding whether or not to cover wood at the top before it is ready to be burned. What I don't understand is how leaving it uncovered can be beneficial if sunlight can't reach much below the top layer of a large, tightly-stacked pile. Why is there the need to evaporate rain before continuing the drying process?

I guess if it is stacked in single rows with plenty of space between, it might be an acceptable approach, but, otherwise, maybe not. If dry wind can evaporate moisture from the splits, why is sunlight reaching the top row a concern?

See my post in the other thread. From what you wrote, you aren't reading the posts the way they are written. For example, I don't ever recall anyone saying a thing about the importance of sunlight reaching the top row! No, that is not a concern at all!

Status
Not open for further replies.