Trail Cams

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
I'm looking to buy a new trail cam, I'll be using it around the trails near the house this year so I can get a better idea what is coming down a few trails from the hills.

My old ones flash which I'm getting away from, have any of you used any on this list with good results? I also would like the Cam to have a viewing screen on it. Another thing that would be nice is if it's waterproof.

Top 10 Trail Cameras 2020

Reactions: duramaxman05
I'm looking to buy a new trail cam, I'll be using it around the trails near the house this year so I can get a better idea what is coming down a few trails from the hills.

My old ones flash which I'm getting away from, have any of you used any on this list with good results? I also would like the Cam to have a viewing screen on it. Another thing that would be nice is if it's waterproof.

Top 10 Trail Cameras 2020
I have the bushnell HD and a moultrie. Can't remember which moultrie but its comparable to the bushnell. The bushnell night night be as fancy as some of the higher end cameras but does pretty good. I used Energizer lithium batteries and got almost 3 yrs out of them. That's averaging about a 1000 pics a month. I only used the moultrie for part of the year. It has a very sensitive camera which leads to lots of pictures of leaves.

Reactions: thewoodlands
I have the bushnell HD and a moultrie. Can't remember which moultrie but its comparable to the bushnell. The bushnell night night be as fancy as some of the higher end cameras but does pretty good. I used Energizer lithium batteries and got almost 3 yrs out of them. That's averaging about a 1000 pics a month. I only used the moultrie for part of the year. It has a very sensitive camera which leads to lots of pictures of leaves.
Have you ever heard of this brand and if so are they any good?
Meidase S3 Trail Game Cameras 20MP HD 1080P H.264, Fast 0.1s Trigger Time, 0.5s Recovery Time, 82ft Motion Detecting, 100ft Night Vision, Waterproof Cams for Outdoor Wildlife Trail

I have not heard of that brand. But the specs look good. 1080p camera, .5sec recovery time and .1sec trigger are some awesome trail cam features.

I have not heard of that brand. But the specs look good. 1080p camera, .5sec recovery time and .1sec trigger are some awesome trail cam features.
I'm looking to see some other trails that the coyotes use when they come down out of the hills. There are a few that I've seen them on but never had a shot because of some big old Maples and just being in the wrong area.

I'm looking to see some other trails that the coyotes use when they come down out of the hills. There are a few that I've seen them on but never had a shot because of some big old Maples and just being in the wrong area.
Placement is a major key in getting good pictures. I have learned that.

It should be here before the end of this month, once I get some pictures from it, I'll post them.

UPS says it should be here late tomorrow so hopefully the next afternoon, I'll get it setup in the woods.

I went with the
Meidase S3 Trail Game Cameras 20MP HD 1080P H.264, Fast 0.1s Trigger Time, 0.5s Recovery Time, 82ft Motion Detecting, 100ft Night Vision, Waterproof Cams for Outdoor Wildlife Trail
I wanted the 32MP but they were out, it came in later today so I did a quick setup and put it on a tree, hopefully tomorrow it will have some animals on it. I think the red in the picture is the brake lights from the Rhino going by.

Tomorrow I'll switch it over to the video, we'll see how the quality of the vids are.

Attachments

• DSCF0010.JPG
    DSCF0010.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 255
  • DSCF0012.JPG
    DSCF0012.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 260
It looks like the same Doe was hanging around this area late yesterday and last night.

Attachments

• DSCF0001-001.JPG
    DSCF0001-001.JPG
    176.6 KB · Views: 251
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF0021.JPG
    DSCF0021.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 239
  • DSCF0023.JPG
    DSCF0023.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 236
  • DSCF0029.JPG
    DSCF0029.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 240
That's awesome. You never know what your going to get on your camera. It's always exciting checking them. It's awesome getting a bobcat on it too and well the guy trespassing driving his rhino through the field.

That's awesome. You never know what your going to get on your camera. It's always exciting checking them. It's awesome getting a bobcat on it too and well the guy trespassing driving his rhino through the field.
She was there when I came down the trail in our Rhino and she never even moved, I was going to put it in another place but when I saw her, I put it on a nearby tree.

I might try a video tonight, hopefully something shows up.

I might try a video tonight, hopefully something shows up.
Just remember where you put them. My wife and I were walking through the woods a few years ago and I totally forgot about where I put the camera. Lol, well needless to say there is pictures. That made it interesting checking the card. Lol. Am I the only one that this weird crap happens too?

So far I'm happy with this Trail Cam.

Attachments

• DSCF0120.MP4
    18.8 MB
That is awesome. That camera takes a good video. Pictures swell. Looks like you have it in a good spot. You could also put a feeder with some corn there too. Good job man.

That is awesome. That camera takes a good video. Pictures swell. Looks like you have it in a good spot. You could also put a feeder with some corn there too. Good job man.
The DEC will ticket the little guy if he puts out corn but if you're a big hunting club or a person with a name, they don't bother you.

The reason I say this is, they warned my neighbor down the road a few times but never warned another family with a "name" about feeding the deer. I'm not against feeding the deer but just the way our DEC goes about their job.

I usually put the corn out for the squirrels but I like to catch on camera what is really eating the corn. Lol.

I usually put the corn out for the squirrels but I like to catch on camera what is really eating the corn. Lol.
We stopped feeding the birds or squirrels when the red squirrels got bad around the house, if we didn't have any in the feeder they would come up to the back door and go crazy along with this guy showing up years back.
bear.JPG

Reactions: D8Chumley
I have a Moultrie. It is now about 6 years old. Less than a year after I bought the Moultrie, it stopped working. Moultrie honored their warranty without a problem and sent me a brand new trail cam. It has been in the woods behind my house since then. I only change batteries and swap the card. Never a problem since. I have a lot of respect for companies that honor their warranty without hassle. Whenever I buy a new one, it will be a Moultrie.

Attachments

• MFDC8354.JPG
    MFDC8354.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 238
The wife went out before noon on a walk with the dog, when she was near the back gully she saw a cub climbing a small Maple, she made it back quick to the house without mama bear chasing her. She didn't see mama bear or any other cubs but she didn't really look.

When she came back we waited for about 20 minutes and then jumped in the Rhino hoping the noise would scare any bears off and then we made a run down the gully, no bears but I did put up a trail camera.

The cub was up a tree to the right in the second picture just after you go up the small hill. I have it pointed in the direction I think they might be coming from.

The video is from last fall, I'm not sure if I posted it before.

Attachments

• DSCF0124.MP4
    18.8 MB
  • DSCF0136.JPG
    DSCF0136.JPG
    395.7 KB · Views: 195
  • DSCF0142.JPG
    DSCF0142.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 177
Those cam pictures are neat--thanks--how fun----"Except" ---no bears for me..."I bet the baby was cute" "Run"...Thanks for sharing..clancey

Those cam pictures are neat--thanks--how fun----"Except" ---no bears for me..."I bet the baby was cute" "Run"...Thanks for sharing..clancey
Below is an old trail cam picture of the last bear we saw but we were inside the house and he took off up the backhill.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 197