Transporting a used pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

womaus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 25, 2015
Central MA
I've searched the forums as best I can, found a few relavent posts. I'd like to be sure though:

I imagine the best way to transport a pellet stove, new or used, would be in the upright position. In the case of a more upright model, not a large base, would it be OK to lay the unit on it's side or on it's back?

We've got a Subaru Forester, back seats folded down would provide more than enough for the vertical of the stove to go horizontal . Stove in question is a Ravelli RV100 Classic.

I would of course pull out all of the tiles to prevent any damage, firebox etc just as if it were being shipped upright.

Otherwise it would mean borrowing / renting a van or pickup for a 5 hour ride each way, or install a hitch and rent a trailer.

Am I crazy?

Am I crazy?

I wouldn't say you are. It's a good question for which I don't have an informed answer. In the case of my stove (about 400lbs) there was no way I could handle it myself so I just let the pros do the transport and install. They had a truck with lift gate and used a specialized hand truck and it stayed upright the whole time.

Baja+Racing+News+LIVE+dos+mares+500+2011+desert+racing+off+road+race+racers.png .

Reactions: bogieb and Shane1
Shaken, not stirred
I took down an Ekoteck Elena and transported it laying down. It was to cold to try and start the van to go get it. -20

Reactions: CleanFire
Shaken, not stirred
I took down an Ekoteck Elena and transported it laying down. It was to cold to try and start the van to go get it. -20

So, no issues with the transport? Firing it up after?

This will be a Ravelli RV100 Classic. All of the ceramics removed...cradled, swaddled, contained.

If I can put it in the back of my Subaru I can save about $130.00. Or more.

Lol yeah spelling didn't look right and spellcheck was confused smh Baja the off-road truck racing

Baja? Yeah, I could do that, but it would be strapped to a 60's SAAB 96.

All of the ceramics removed...cradled, swaddled, contained
No issues other than getting cold while loading and unloading. Hope its worth that much driving.

Right now it's at 78 views, 9 replies (some of them mine).

Don't be shy here. Have you done this? Would you do this?

If I can lay it down it will save me well over $100.00. That $100.00 I can put to a pellet purchase.

I can't see any issues myself, this isn't a refrigerator. Everything is static, nothing should move.

Or am I missing something?

Again:

Have you done this? Would you do this?

I've learned to trust the masses. That's where the knowledge is.

No issues other than getting cold while loading and unloading. Hope its worth that much driving.

I like your answer. The driving part, well, I think you may see why. Check your messages.

Last edited:
I brought my 420 lb Invincible home in my Honda Odyssey, laying on it's back. I used a heavy duty hand truck and rented a set of ramps at HD to to get it in and out of the van.

I brought my 420 lb Invincible home in my Honda Odyssey, laying on it's back. I used a heavy duty hand truck and rented a set of ramps at HD to to get it in and out of the van.

Excellent.

The transfer from the owner to me will be from a pickup to whatever I show up with (rented pickup or my Subaru).

I'm leaning towards the lay down.

Or maybe not. For $100.00 I get a brand new (relatively) Ford F150 for the day. And save the 700 mile wear and tear on the Subaru.

Damn these decisions.

the glass would be a concern laying down

I've never had a problem with a glass while laying down. Have never spilt any of the rye contained, nor the cubes.

Or are we talking about something else?

Seriously...why would the glass be at risk? Most is tempered, heat resistant, stronger than usual.

Thanks for the reply. All helps...

Reactions: bogieb
guess I get cautious, moving things since I moved people coast to coast. Take the door off and wrap it, it reduces weight

guess I get cautious, moving things since I moved people coast to coast. Take the door off and wrap it, it reduces weight

And I appreciate that...thanks.

they come upright from the factory, I wouldn't move it any other way. But that is me....Why risk it for $130?

Excellent.

The transfer from the owner to me will be from a pickup to whatever I show up with (rented pickup or my Subaru).

I'm leaning towards the lay down.

Or maybe not. For $100.00 I get a brand new (relatively) Ford F150 for the day. And save the 700 mile wear and tear on the Subaru.

Damn these decisions.
Rent a trailer from HD or TSC and save your car. Really inexpensive to rent at either location.

Rent a trailer from HD or TSC and save your car. Really inexpensive to rent at either location.
It's that installing the hitch part that hits the pocketbook - especially if you can't do it yourself, or at least not in the time needed.

Don't rent from HD for a long distance/time haul - their price is only good for 75 minutes then the charges start adding up.

hauled my serenity 2 hrs. home laying on the back in my jeep liberty with no problems,If it's a used stove though I would put plastic or a tarp or something down first to catch any ash that may fall out.

How much help will you have when you meet for the hand-off?

And when you get home?

Sliding a stove from one pickup bed to another is easy. Moving from a pickup bed into the back of a car might be quite something else. And getting it out of the car again. Is there a lip at the back of the car you need to get up & over? I don't know how much it weighs but it's likely pretty heavy? That would be the deciding factor for me. I would imagine you could transport it OK with it laying down, as long as you take everything out of it you can and maybe also stuff the insides with folded up cardboard as an extra measure. But it won't be easy getting it in & out. I don't think, anyway.

From a quick glance at the sales brochure some support around the exhaust tube might be required if laying on its back.
It appears to stick out an inch or two.

Also from a quick glance at that brochure - without knowing the rigidity of the exterior panels it looks like on its back would be least likely to warp or distort a side panel.

A scrap piece/sheet of 2 inch foam for under it and something to stop it from rolling around on curves or sudden stops should travel in a suv/wagon/van OK.

That's without knowing how thin the (tin) exterior panels are though.

Brought home an Envrio Omega on it's side
in the back of the wife's Tucson . laid it on a
quilt slid it in and out with no problems.
Wife was not happy about me using her baby
but she had my truck and timing critical

Status
Not open for further replies.