trash trees as a winter project

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

awicherr

Sep 5, 2020
Ohio
not good wood but there will be a mess of it once this Ailanthus and cotton wood come down this winter. Moved in in the spring and wasnt sure what these two were then the leafs popped and i knew... messy dangerous trees that burn mehh but btu's are btu's and it doesn't need to go far. Just waiting for them to go dormant anyone else have specific trees they have om the schedule for this winter?
20200929_190329.jpg
20200929_190431.jpg

I've been trying to remove all the invasive species from my small woodlot. The ailanthus has all been removed and will finish burning this winter. Next up, a much better burner, a 16in honey locust will be coming down.

I don't know how cottonwood responds from cutting it, but Ailanthus produces a lot of sprouts from the roots. You may have a lot of new shoots come spring. It's a tough tree to eradicate. I applaud you for removing it. Stay on it and you may be able to finally get rid of it

Vaforest did you have to apply anything to the stumps? Or did you just keep cutting them down?

Davesch i know i have cut about ten 12" and under in the spring. Now i have shoots popping up everywhere even in the bottom of the barn. The cotton wood is a poplar family tree so i would imagine there wont be any issue with that one.

A little bit of Garlon mixed with vegatable oil painted on the stump will knock out the roots that are causing the shoots.

I feel for you. I spent a major part of my career working on habitat improvement. Ailanthus is one of the most invasive and persistant trees in the US. The best control for it is to apply Tordon herbicide to the freshly cut shoots and stumps. It's a tough critter to eradicate.

peakbagger is on the right track, mostly. Garlon will kill most hardwood stumps, but not all. Tordon is the most effective for Ailanthus .

peakbagger is on the right track, mostly. Garlon will kill most hardwood stumps, but not all. Tordon is the most effective for Ailanthus .
I agree, my "trash tree" is actually blighted Beech where Garlon is the recommended product . I obviously cut what I can for firewood but due to lack of access, I am going to have to do slash and paint on acres of beeches.

Second the above. I paint 2,4-D on my Aspen sprout stumps and they do not come back. One thing to remember is to paint it on full strength, not diluted as for spraying on weeds. Also, take care to get it on the green cambium layer all around under the bark.

Agree with everyone "painting" the stumps. I used 40% glyphosate and it worked well. But there are seedlings popping up from the neighbors trees throwing seed every year around this time. Haven't figured out how to deal with that problem.......

I have a row of (1) larger ash tree and (5) Norway maples that will be coming down this winter, once the ground gets frozen and I can drive the tractor up there without having to replant all the grass, I like the ash tree but its dying, and the norway maples are getting to big / thick with leaves that it blocks the sunlight into the yard, also there a pia - last to loose there leaves (takes the first snow to knock them clean) Cant wait to clean up that section of rock wall.

2 dead trees planned to take down this winter. One appears to be ash by the little amount of bark left, the other is a white pine.