Chimney fire with my fairly new Blaze King / Ventis install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ChipDouglas95

Nov 14, 2017
Norwell, MA
Two nights ago, about 20 minutes after loading up my stove for the night I had a chimney fire.

I installed the stove and chimney in January of 2018 so a little less then 1 year ago. It is a Blaze King Chinook 30 and Ventis Class A pipe. So far I burned about 1 cord or so last winter and maybe 1 1/2 cord this winter. Last years wood was seasoned for about 3 years and this year I have been burning oak that has been seasoned about 1 year but was a standing dead tree that came down last year. Moisture meter reads about 20% for what has been burned this year.

I had just filled up the stove with wood which had cooled to just below the active range on the thermometer. I was running the stove in bypass waiting for it to warm back up when after about 20 minutes for this I started heard loud popping noises coming from the chimney. I came downstairs where the stove is and the room was filing with smoke. I shut down the stove and went outside to look at the chimney and I could hear the popping and creaking noises and I could see embers coming out the of the chimney. I could also see red glowing at the top of the chimney cap. I called the fire department and go my family out of the house. When they arrived about 5 minutes later and fire in the pipe had going out.

Over the course of the next hour I had most of the fire department in my house and they took the smoldering wood out of the stove and checked the pipe inside and outside the house. Oddly, they said everything looked pretty clean with very little buildup. They did find about 1 cup of what looked like black and glowing embers in the bottom of the clean out.

This spring after burning about 1 cord of seasoned wood, I took the clean out off the chimney and inspected the vertical pipe and it looked very clean. I haven't inspected it this year since I haven't really burned that much wood. This is my second wood stove and in my previous house I burned wood for about 7 years. There I never had very much creosote in the chimney.

As far as I can tell I'm running the stove correctly, following all the procedures outlined in the owners manual. I generally only see smoke / water vapor coming from the chimney for a little while after reloading and the cat seems t be functioning well, with the entire block glowing red at times.

Now I'm very nervous about using the stove again. I wounder what would have happened if I wasn't home and wasn't here to shut down the stove. I really can't think of anything else I could do run the stove cleaner as I'm always very mindful of doing everything by the book in terms of making sure it's running very cleanly.

Any insight / advise would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 596
  • Chimney.jpg
    Chimney.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 616
Did you fire it up with any cardboard? If so that's a no no.The draft will take the cardboard up the chimney and that will cause what's in the pipe to ignite.

I never leave my stove when it’s in bypass. I always load with a big split dead center in the stove. If I leave a center channel and have a coal bed the flames get sucked right up the bypass and pipe temps climb fast. First sign of flames going up the bypass I close it if it’s ready or not. My first season or two I had a couple scares where the paint started smoking on my double wall pipe. Thankfully the chimney and pipe where clean(one time was the day after sweeping) and didn’t provide anough fuel for a big chimney fire.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, I realize that the exterior class a chimney is supposedly designed to be directly installed out side, but I wonder if that isn't just a catalyst for creosote. I m sure some one else is going to say enclose and insulate that chimney.

Reactions: Monsieur Poele
I never leave my stove when it’s in bypass. I always load with a big split dead center in the stove. If I leave a center channel and have a coal bed the flames get sucked right up the bypass and pipe temps climb fast. First sign of flames going up the bypass I close it if it’s ready or not. My first season or two I had a couple scares where the paint started smoking on my double wall pipe. Thankfully the chimney and pipe where clean(one time was the day after sweeping) and didn’t provide anough fuel for a big chimney fire.

I have experienced this as well, makes sense seeing as the flames are being sent directly up the into the double wall. I just didn't realize it could ignite what might have accumulated in the first section of pipe.

I don't know if this would have anything to do with it, I realize that the exterior class a chimney is supposedly designed to be directly installed out side, but I wonder if that isn't just a catalyst for creosote. I m sure some one else is going to say enclose and insulate that chimney.

This was a concern of mine when I was initially planning the install. I could see how keeping the chimney warmer would help. Some people said the exposed chimney would be fine, others said it would be better enclosed.

This was a concern of mine when I was initially planning the install. I could see how keeping the chimney warmer would help. Some people said the exposed chimney would be fine, others said it would be better enclosed.

Your last sentence is true. Exposed is fine, but enclosed will always be better.

It seems to me that any horizontal run always has minimal buildup in it compared to vertical sections. Maybe wasnt as clean as you thought on the horiztonal.

Here's a shot up the chimney and how much was piled at the bottom of the clean out. Might be hard to tell from the pictures but the bottom part I can see looks very clean. I can really good a good look at the top without getting up on the roof,

Attachments

• down chimney.jpg
    down chimney.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 511
  • From cleanout.jpg
    From cleanout.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 474
When I get a chance I'll remove the double wall and see how it looks. I looked at it when the fire department took it off and we both agreed it looked clean. Maybe a lot of it had burned off.

I don't quite where it was burning - in the double wall or in the vertical chimney going up the house. Inside was smokey I believe because the double wall had heated up and was burning off the black paint. I also could see glowing at the chimney cap maybe reflected up the chimney??

Sorry you had this happen with a new installation. BK stoves have cooler flue gases that will condense when they get below 250º. The two 90º slow down and cool the flue gases further. It's most likely between the two turns that the buildup occurred.

I get noticeably more buildup and bad creosote with my bk than i did with my hearthstone. It mostly accumulates right at the top and in the cap.

My hearthstone ran so clean (hot) that I actually Only needed cleaning every 2 years... and only then a coffee cup.

I bought a sooteater and do my bk at least 2x a year.

Here's a shot up the chimney and how much was piled at the bottom of the clean out. Might be hard to tell from the pictures but the bottom part I can see looks very clean. I can really good a good look at the top without getting up on the roof,
Maybe your camera is playing tricks on my eyes. Are these two anomolies consistent with a non modified factory T? Is this a factory T? To me, it looks like tears or cut material and the anomoly on the right also appears to incorporate a protruding ledge where creosote can build up.
You might want to assess the condition of this location again to specifically verify if this is damage/ modification or absolutely nothing. What do you all say?

Capture+_2018-12-16-20-33-35.png Screenshot_2018-12-16-20-33-59.png Screenshot_2018-12-16-20-33-52.png

Reactions: Monsieur Poele
Interesting.
I see you have a through-the-wall setup.
I have a Blaze King in a similar situation have problems with
chimney fires to the point I cannot run it at all with the bypass
open except when loading wood into it, and then I have to
shut it as fast as I can to extinguish the flames in the pipe.
My opinion is that these stoves are inherently
dangerous in a through-the wall situation.
I'll be replacing my stove soon.
More details on my situation here:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/weird-stove-situation-suggestions-welcome.172592/

Last edited:
Looks way too clean for a chimney fire to be possible. Strange.

Most chimneys look relatively clean after a fire as opposed if you saw beforehand.

Well, whatever then. He has two more to go according to UL.

Reactions: Ashful
The UL rating says it can survive x number of chimney fires for x number of minutes before its junk I believe.
No that's not how it works. They test them that way but that doesn't mean they can't be damaged by one fire or hold up fine through many.

Well, Huckleberry has me concerned. Here are a few more pictures of the double wall. I wish I had seen it before the fire but it seems pretty clean to me. I could certainly see how running it in bypass with and amount of build up in the first few feet could easily ignite the creosote. It is easy to clean I guess but now I wonder how much is too much - how often do I need to clean it?

I guess it's time to get a chimney brush, what should I be looking for? Do I need a different brush for the double wall and the class A?

Attachments

• IMG_20181217_105544.jpg
    IMG_20181217_105544.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20181217_105513.jpg
    IMG_20181217_105513.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_20181217_103659.jpg
    IMG_20181217_103659.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_20181217_103845.jpg
    IMG_20181217_103845.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 310
Geez another blazeking chimney fire. Seems like they are a little more prone to this than a tube stove.

I wonder if its because they are getting "too efficient" and the flue temps are so low and cause more buildup.

Well, Huckleberry has me concerned. Here are a few more pictures of the double wall. I wish I had seen it before the fire but it seems pretty clean to me. I could certainly see how running it in bypass with and amount of build up in the first few feet could easily ignite the creosote. It is easy to clean I guess but now I wonder how much is too much - how often do I need to clean it?

I guess it's time to get a chimney brush, what should I be looking for? Do I need a different brush for the double wall and the class A?
The chimney looks pretty clean. I don't like the way the tee is built though. You can see it has a smaller opening than the pipe. One would think that would act somewhat like a dam restricting flow and possibly trapping crud there.