travel for pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2009
saratoga, ny
Going along with another post I saw, pellets for $195/ ton, How far would you travel to save about $100/ a ton? I can pick up 3-4 tons at a time, that's enough to get through a season. To make this trip it would cost about $75 in gas and one day to travel and unload, about a 10 hour day. These are Allegany Pellets I don't know much about them but they say they will send a sample bag to try. I found them on this site and then found them again on ebay this morning.

OK lets say you get 4 tons and save $400.00. You deduct $75.00 for gas, maybe another $25.00 for wear and tear on your vehicle and another $25.00 for snacks and coffee along the way to pick up your pellets. You are still $275.00 ahead. Now if you divide that by the 10 hours of labor you will have to do you will be making around $27.50 per hr. tax free which makes it more like $35.00 pr hr. Not a bad return!!!

russ79 said:
Going along with another post I saw, pellets for $195/ ton, How far would you travel to save about $100/ a ton? I can pick up 3-4 tons at a time, that's enough to get through a season. To make this trip it would cost about $75 in gas and one day to travel and unload, about a 10 hour day. These are Allegany Pellets I don't know much about them but they say they will send a sample bag to try. I found them on this site and then found them again on ebay this morning.

Don't buy unknown pellets in large quanities...I learned that again this season buying Maine Wood Pellets.

Well, after reading on this forum about a guy advertising four tons of Lignetics for $225 a ton on Craiglist, I answered his ad and I found out he lived 50 miles away. I talked a friend of mine into splitting the load and we rented a Ryder truck, drove up there, loaded them, drove home and unloaded them at our two homes. We rented the truck for $60, used $25 in Diesel, and spent 6 bucks at MCDonalds. I have seen Lignetics for $300 a ton plus delivery. That's $1200 plus $40 for delivery....I think I came out ok even with the expenses.

Chandler

Status
Not open for further replies.