Tree Cutting Dilemma

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Simonkenton

Minister of Fire
Feb 27, 2014
Marshall NC
IMG_3337.JPG

This big black walnut went down 3 days ago. One mile from my house. You can drive right up to it in the field.
I started sawing it up.

IMG_3339.JPG

This big limb was pristine, no rot, just that one little branch was rotten.
And my brother came down to watch. And he said that if I sawed off one more of those lower limbs, the tree would collapse and land on me.
And he was right.

IMG_3341.JPG

This is what is left.

IMG_3342.JPG

I got a half pickup load from this tree and I want more. Main trunk 26 inch diameter.
Has anybody got a suggestion on how to cut up this tree?

Just be sure you are thinking at least a few steps ahead.

If it were me i'd start by clearing out all of the small limbs and branches to see what is actually going on underneath and have a safe way to move around without tripping. I usually leave any of the larger limbs on the bottom side attached so they can support the tree as I work my way through.

Keep a close eye for areas under compression or tension, with a focus on getting the weight of the tree on the ground so it can be easily bucked and rolled around.

I agree. that's a mess to work in. CAREFULLY clean it up so you can see what's going on. If it's too dangerous to cut while it's leaning, I'd cut the stump up, watching for roll, then when it's smaller hook the truck on it and drag it down to the ground.

If the top one is cut off at the bottom
I would wrap a chain on it hook it to my truck and pull it out of the way.
Even if it were not cut I would try to move it out of the way so I could
cut it up

First thing is first...remove as much of the vines and other debris to see what is actually going on and give you a better idea as to where the energy of the tree is. What's taking the brunt and how does it want to move? Then plan your cut.

While we're at it, when you're cutting have an escape route planned. That pic of you cutting it looks like one side is the tree the other is debris, looks like if it moved you stood a decent chance of getting tripped up by all of the debris trying to get out of the way.