Tree down - anything I'm missing here?

  • Active since 1995, is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
What is funny is that after more than a page of poison ivy talk, we don’t even know if these vines are PI. We get some big poison ivy vines around here, but overwhelmingly, the vast majority of vines that look like those in this photo would be grape vine, at least around here.

They don't look like any grape vines I have ever seen growing on trees around here. Guess we have to wait for the OP to get back to us.
  • Like
Reactions: Ashful
Lol I was thinking just the opposite! Around here wild grape vines grow thick and into huge tangles which can bring down a tree. Virginia creeper can sometimes do that, too. Poison ivy tends to be a bit more spindly, usually wilty almost sickly looking plant with maybe one main vine and a few small offshoots. Bot obviously different growth patterns in different parts of the country.

Either way, that looks like a big mess. First thing I'd do (assuming not poison ivy) would be to clear away a lot of the brush/vine so you have an escape path. If anything rolls, falls, or doesn't go exactly to plan and you are waist deep in vines and branches, you're likely trapped there and just along for the ride.

On the poison ivy, I think everyone is 'immune' (or have just never come into contact with the real stuff) until they are not. I was immune until I wasn't. Friend of mine was immune until he was clearing up a big patch - ripping it up by the armload and carrying to the brush pile to burn. (his words) After waking up in the middle of the night 'on fire and itching' and a trip to the ER, rounds of corticosteroids, a week off work and and a pretty rough go for a couple more weeks, he is no longer immune, either.
Wow, lots of you have come across PI in your tree work. It's December in New England, so I'd have to think this is about as dormant as it's gonna get. I was going to work off the smaller stuff from a distance with a pruning pole just in case and obviously would not have much, if any exposed skin, again since it's December.

No chemicals will be used. This tree fell onto a galloping track at a stable where I board my horse. Horses = no chemicals, plain and simple. I want to get the tree out of way both for firewood and so I can use the track.

I've heard you have 30 minutes to shower or wash off any exposure give or take a few minutes, so if I come in contact with any, I'll just try washing it off and abandon all my clothes at the door when I get home.

It's possible that's not even PI. We do have lots of climbing vines that smother trees in our area. I pull them off my own trees every spring. Only once in the past 20 years, did I touch the wrong vine and end up a little itchy. Certainly won't be eating it. LOL.
I cut trees all of the time around here covered on PI, I just respect it as I do break out from contact with it.
I'm terribly allergic to poison oak (which has the same active ingredient as poison ivy and sumac). I've had to take oral steroids multiple times. I dislike the side effects. I ran across this video a few years ago:

I follow his recommendations when working anywhere near PO. I've had only a few mild rashes since then, easily handled with topical steriod cream which I get by prescription. I find that I can work on PO for a few hours and wash up really well and not get a rash. Wearing long sleeves helps, there's just less surface area to get exposed.

Winter when the leaves are off is the time to work on PO. The stems also have urushiol in them, but there's less plant material to spread it on you.
  • Like
Reactions: CincyBurner