Tree ID help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I tried all the online ID sites and I'm still not sure. Looks like this one is scheduled to go down for the power lines. It is in my next door neighbor's front yard. He does not burn. I am wondering of it is worth trying to get the wood. I thought is was Ash, but now I think it is something else. Tulip? Basswood?

Attachments

• 2010-08-09_13-47-39_141.jpg
    2010-08-09_13-47-39_141.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 355
  • 2010-08-09_13-48-12_716.jpg
    2010-08-09_13-48-12_716.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 304
Looks to be tulip.

That's what I was thinking. Not worth much effort if I have about a cord of White Oak and Locust 1/2 mile down the street and two years worth of Oak,Maple,Cherry, and Ash split and stacked on the property.

I dont know but I dont think its Tulip, they (the leaves) look like this

tulip_tree_3.jpg

That's why I am stumped by this. The online ID sites keep giving me trees that don't look anything like the one I am try to ID.

That football shaped leave is pretty common, hickory, cherry, buckeye, plus the pic aint the greatest LOL

My fist thought was cherry

Still lookin

I'll try to get better pics tonight. I will actually be home before dark tonight. :coolsmile:

Could be ash

Ash_White_CK.jpg

ANeat said:
That football shaped leave is pretty common, hickory, cherry, buckeye, plus the pic aint the greatest LOL

My fist thought was cherry

Still lookin
+1 pic's are bad.

Still leaning towards ash, like Flatbeds initial impression.... especially after looking at the bark

ANeat said:
Still leaning towards ash, like Flatbeds initial impression.... especially after looking at the bark
Sure could be. That would be a keeper.

Ash I will work for, even in this weather. More pics tonight or tomorrow.

ANeat said:
Here are some good tips for Ash ID, the opposite branching is a good tip off, cant really tell that in the pics

http://www.anr.msu.edu/robertsd/ash/ashtree_id.html

That's some good info. I'll have a better look tonight. I have been looking at the tree for 7 years now, but only had the Mrs. send me a pic when she told me about the orange ribbon today when I was at work.

I'm leaning towards ash, a better pic of the leaves will help.

I think it is Ash or hickory. The first blurry picture shows at least one leaf that seems to have five football shaped leaflets - the type of leaf an ash or hickory has. Most hickories and all ash species usually have more than five leaflets per leaf, but any ash or hickory will have a few leaves with more or fewer leaflets than the typical leaf on the same tree. You have to look at how many leaflets most of the leaves have - don't just look at one. Ash have opposite compund leaves (leaves mostly come out of the branch in pairs, one on each side of the branch), while hickories have alternate leaves (a leaf grows from the branch, there is a bit of branch with no leaves, then a leaf grows out the other side). one trick to all compound leaved plants to not to confuse the leaflets with separate leaves. The bark looks like several ash species or like Pignut Hickory.

That isn't a tulip tree, the leaves are football shaped. The leaves are too large for cherry, plus sherry doesn't have compound leaves. It could be Cucumber Magnolia, which has big football shaped leaves and bark that looks like the bark in this picture, but Cucumber Magnolia is rarely planted. It is fairly common in some places in the woods (at least in PA), but it doesn't have compound leaves like it appears this tree has.

I got some better pics tonight. Looks like ash to me. I left a message with my neighbor, telling him that I want it if it does come down. I hope it works out. I'll be able to roll it onto my driveway and cut and split it right there. No trucking required. It is big one!

Attachments

• DSCN1305.jpg
    DSCN1305.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 216
  • DSCN1306.jpg
    DSCN1306.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 219
  • DSCN1310.jpg
    DSCN1310.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 214
Flatbedford said:
I got some better pics tonight. Looks like ash to me. I left a message with my neighbor, telling him that I want it if it does come down. I hope it works out. I'll be able to roll it onto my driveway and cut and split it right there. No trucking required. It is big one!

Ash

The 2 pictures on the right do look like ash but the one on the left has leaves bigger than any ash I've ever seen but maybe it is because you are near the BIG Apple?

You can see on the left photo (the closeup of the leaves) that the leaves/branches are opposite so I would say Ash for certain. That tree is a keeper, you should get quite a bit of good wood out of that.

Definitely ash. The new picture shows the seeds, which are diagnostic. I am sure the tree is an ash, but the picture is a little too blurry to know exactly which species of ash it is. The shape of the seeds differs between the various types of ash. I suppose it doesn't really matter which species of ash you have, since they are all pretty similar as firewood - all pretty good.

I heard back from my neighbor. He asked them to remove it. He put the ribbon on it so they would know which one he was talking about. They told him they will not take it down, only trim it. :-S
I told him that if he ever has it taken down, to have the crew drop it right on my driveway (provided my vehicles are out of the way). At least I won't have to work in this hot weather.

Flatbed, I saw that you had a tree ID thread, so I thought I'd drop in and joke about it being Ash (cause it seems that so many id questions get that as an answer, even when it's NOT), then I look at it and sure enough it's ash, lol. Oh well.... It's a nice looking tree, would make good firewood, but if it doesn't need to come down, then it doesn't need to. C'est la vie....

Status
Not open for further replies.