Tree ID Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cygnus

Feeling the Heat
Oct 23, 2010
Central, NJ
Bunches of this around after Irene. Not sure if it's worth my time. Can you help with a definitive ID?

Attachments

• IMG00175-20110902-0813.jpg
    IMG00175-20110902-0813.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 296
  • IMG00196-20110908-1012.jpg
    IMG00196-20110908-1012.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 293
Looks like a bradford pear to me....(They dont hold up well in storms very top heavy)

cygnus said:
Bunches of this around after Irene. Not sure if it's worth my time. Can you help with a definitive ID?

looks like basswood.
worthless firewood, although makes fabulous kindling when its dry.
great for using as firemaking apparatii such as bow drill hand drills pump drills
great to use for burning bowls and spoons
stringy inner bark makes excellent and copious cordage

OT

Jay beat me. Same tree. They also have an issue with how their branches are connected. Look at the top of the branches where they connect. Most trees have a coller around the top of the branch. Callery pears don't. This means bark and moisture are trapped as the tree grows. So you have a weak spot with debris and moisture trapped in it. It's a bad condition and leads to what you saw.

Matt

Thanks for the pear lesson!

its a beach to split - but burns decent - I'd say somewhere around the BTU of sweet gum.

onetracker said:
cygnus said:

looks like basswood.
great for using as firemaking apparatii such as bow drill hand drills pump drills

OT

Both Tilia species that you see around here, basswood and littleleaf linden have a distinctive seed pod that doesn't look like that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cordata_0004.JPG/800px-Tilia_cordata_0004.JPG

See how they hang off the wing? This is a pic off littleleaf lindin... Tilia cordata

Matt

I replaced a bradford pear that got old and had the branches snapping off at the multi notch problem.
The Cleveland Select is supposed to stand up to wind and ice better because it doesn't have that multi-stem notch on the trunk. We'll see.
The Cleveland Select has longer thinner leaves than the old bradford did.

Dunno if mine is grafted and it's the graft stock, but it grows root shoots like crazy.

Both have a bazzillion small branches to get rid of.

+1 vote for bradford pear

I have loads of Callery (Bradford) Pear in my stacks. I think it seems pretty dense, sort of like apple. It is a pain to process the trees into firewood because they are very branchy, but it burns nicely. My pear is all the result of storm damage too.

EatenByLimestone said:
onetracker said:
cygnus said:

looks like basswood.

OT

Both Tilia species that you see around here, basswood and littleleaf linden have a distinctive seed pod that doesn't look like that.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...cordata_0004.JPG/800px-Tilia_cordata_0004.JPG

See how they hang off the wing? This is a pic off littleleaf lindin... Tilia cordata

Matt

i stand corrected. don't see much callery pear here.
thanx!

OT

I really like Pear as fuelwood and I take it anytime I can get it. Burns real nice, throws good heat, but like others said it's a little "tempremental" to split and most of the tree is branches but it's good stuff nonetheless...

I got a fair amount of bradford pear in my stack. I just cut the limbs and branches now, the trunk was a pain. The nice thing about them is theyre all branches

I cut way too many of them growing up in VA Beach during hurricane season, I have an unnatural hatred for them so burning them just seemed like the right thing to do when I got the wood stove :D

Status
Not open for further replies.