Tree ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

48rob

Feeling the Heat
Oct 11, 2010
Illinois
The large one in the middle.

The limb removed was 14" and gave me 21 cubic feet!

The wood looks stringy, but split very easily.
Medium weight, smells like a mix between wood glue and Oak.
Very reddish in color.
Thanks.

Rob

ry=400.jpg

ry=400.jpg

It is Red Oak

Or is it honey locust?

Definitely Honey Locust,bark is a dead giveaway.Looks like a Thornless one too,probably planted 40-50 yrs ago,one of the early ones introduced by nurseries.Though HL is very heavy,a bit more than most Red or Black Oak normally. Hmmmm...... :-S

Thistle said:
Definitely Honey Locust,bark is a dead giveaway.Looks like a Thornless one too,probably planted 40-50 yrs ago,one of the early ones introduced by nurseries.Though HL is very heavy,a bit more than most Red or Black Oak normally. Hmmmm...... :-S

Looking at the tree its self honey..Pretty sure I would say oak with out it! lol Hi Ho..................

smokinjay said:
Thistle said:

Looking at the tree its self honey..Pretty sure I would say oak with out it! lol Hi Ho..................

"off to the woods we go..." lol

I think it's a Maple

Doesn't look like the honey locust around here, I'm gonna say red oak or ? Maple

Red Oak- that's my call.

All these years I've been looking at it, I figured it was Oak...though the tree is "smaller" that the mighty Oaks that grow around here.
I've never looked close, including yesterday, to see if there were any telltale leaves still hanging on (It was an Oak...why look...").

I'll check it out today and let you know, 'cause I'm really curious. I've cut some Oak, and this stuff is really light compared to it, or maybe I was just stronger than I realized...

Rob

48rob said:
All these years I've been looking at it, I figured it was Oak...though the tree is "smaller" that the mighty Oaks that grow around here.
I've never looked close, including yesterday, to see if there were any telltale leaves still hanging on (It was an Oak...why look...").

I'll check it out today and let you know, 'cause I'm really curious. I've cut some Oak, and this stuff is really light compared to it, or maybe I was just stronger than I realized...

Rob

Oak usually smells like cow manure when it is freshly cut-does this smell?

Looks like the verdict is in-it is Red Locust or Honey Oak....or SILVER MAPLE-when in doubt guess Silver lol!!!

No way no how is it maple!

Left side of the pic, 3rd or so log up with the angled bark really looks like Red Oak grain. Light weight does not go with Oak however. Smell of manure/glue does. I stand by Red Oak.

I went back to look at the tree.

It has no leaves on it, not even one.
I looked at a couple dozen Oaks, including two nearby, all have some still hanging on.
(the tree in the first picture, to the left of the one in question is an Oak)

I looked close at the branch tips, they all look kind of like a long finger, with a 6" nail hanging/curling out from them.

I looked up Thornless Honey Locust, and found this;

Honey_locust_3.jpg

The little leaflets fall off, but most of the spines do not.
There are a lot of 6-8" spines on the ground under the tree, and quite a few still attached to the branch tips.

So, it looks good for Locust!

Thanks for all the guesses and information!

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.