Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TedyOH

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2015
NE Ohio
Only have a few on the property and they are only on the edge of a field / woods, leaf is smooth edged and kinda shiny. Thanks.

20160617_175554_resized.jpg 20160617_175639_resized.jpg

Just a guess... Does it blossom with a white fragrant blossom in spring? If so it may be a callery pear.

Just a guess... Does it blossom with a white fragrant blossom in spring? If so it may be a callery pear.
I can't remember, have to check next year, it's pretty good size though, 40 - 50 foot.

Very possible, that was my backup choice if no fragrant spring flowering.

Unfortunately no on the fall colors, another thing i will look at though, looks like it could be either of the trees you two mentioned, here's more pics of the leaves if it helps any, top and bottom, thanks again

Edit - I think it's black gum after some google image searching this morning

07a84c90865bc51656848f4fa9245da3.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
b5a5aa64107fe80c2d99c43054678b48.jpg

Last edited:
+1 for black gum. They grow like weeds here, the leaves are a good indication. Black gums drop little purplish berries and begin turning color in late summer to early fall. Fall colors are often a lovely burnt orange.

Do a large percentage of the branches grow at 90 degrees from the trunk? That growth pattern is very indicative of black gum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fred Wright
Yes, it's black gum, there's another tree close to it about 1/4 the size, same leaves and bark and this one has the little berries (green right now) forming on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.