Tree ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

billfred

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2015
indy
Road crew dropped this off for me. Southern Indiana.

IMG_5894.jpg
IMG_5895.jpg
IMG_5897.jpg

Reactions: Lone_Gun
In my limited experience I say it will be fire wood soon
Looks like oak but not sure .where you live has a lot of types of trees that I have never seem!
Like the little lady you have as a model

Yeah worked out great. They were a half mile down the road. I stopped and asked if they wouldn’t mind dropping it off. And it’s all good stuff. I would love if it’s white oak.

Grain doesn't look like oak to me. I'm gonna say hard maple (better than oak, IMO). Does it smell sweet?

looks like Norway maple to me. about 1/2 way between Sugar and Silver maples

I'll go with maple - sugar maple
maple is opposite branching habit, and sugar has platy bark, Norway has uniform, shallow furrowed bark.
Look for a few leaves attached to the limb wood.

Reactions: Lakeside
Doesn’t hickory have that darker center wood and lighter outer wood? Looks like hickory to me.

Looks like soft Maple to me, but could be wrong.

Ask that little cutie pie looking at it, I'll be she knows! :)

Reactions: billfred
I already have 30 rick split and stacked plus a bunch more rounds. Not that I needed more but I couldn’t resist. So easy.

Reactions: Slocum
Looks like soft maple

I'm lichen maple for this one. ;lol

Seriously, it's a maple. Leaning toward sugar as bark is starting to exhibit larger vertical plating plating.

My eyes say red maple. I'm not real good from photos.