Tree preparation for drier wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I read an article about tree prep, to get drier wood.

Basically,
cut 12" off bark at the bottom of the tree in the winter,
let the leaves sprout in the spring to pull more moisture out of the tree.
When the leaves start drying up, fell & process.

Made sense.
Not sure how to try it, due to I mostly cut in a public, personal use cutting area.
Would be nice to try it,. Go out on a snow machine & de-bark, leave them standing all summer, then process them in the fall.

Reactions: Realstone
Sounds like it makes sense Dave but I don't cut on my own land either (not public but are a few others around sometimes). I think if I was out there spending the time to debark I probably wouldn't be able to resist and just drop it then haul it home. Heck we both know it will dry just fine in a couple years.

I have used this technique, & it works very well. There is a distinct weight difference in similar sized rounds from the girdled tree to a live tree of the same size & species. On shared or public property I can see the inherent problems though. A C

One of the reasons why I do not like this method is one of the same reasons I quit cutting in the spring; that is, nesting birds. Why take the chance of disturbing them?

That's a good point Dennis, & I didn't really clarify timing. What my grandfather did was girdle the trees in winter, then let them stand till the next Sept/Oct. Problem was he also burnt them that winter. He was a good woodsman & great guy, but should have seasoned his wood a bit longer I think. Never had a chimney fire afaik though. A C

Status
Not open for further replies.