Trees with broad canopy over 30 feet, not too tall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prometeo

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2022
IT
HI ✋
I have a side of the house that needs shade, in summer it is unlivable, for the moment I have put two willows, but given their short life I would like to put another tree in the center, that will live at least 1 century. I cannot consider exotic trees, it is necessary tree resistant to frost. If anyone knows trees with a 30 foot wide canopy,
not too tall, thanks!

In Italy, maybe a plane tree? It will eventually get tall but not huge in your lifetime. They can live for a very long time.
Or for an evergreen, maybe a cedar (deodar or atlas).

Reactions: Prometeo
In Italy, maybe a plane tree? It will eventually get tall but not huge in your lifetime. They can live for a very long time.
Or for an evergreen, maybe a cedar (deodar or atlas).
Thanks Begreen,
yes, it can be my choice, the platanus,
it's on my list and also should bear any pruning to keep it under 50 feet.
The cedar has little shade. If any other species comes to mind let me know!👍

I would stay away from evergreen trees so you can benefit from the solar gain in the winter. We have a live oak. Stays green year round and I wish it lost its leaves in the winter. Our solar gain would be much higher.

With bit of annual pruning apple trees would be a nice option.

Last edited:
Thanks Begreen,
yes, it can be my choice, the platanus,
it's on my list and also should bear any pruning to keep it under 50 feet.
The cedar has little shade. If any other species comes to mind let me know!👍
Cedars can have a broad canopy, especially if they are topped occasionally. I mentioned it because it can grow faster.

Cedars can have a broad canopy, especially if they are topped occasionally. I mentioned it because it can grow faster.
Being a midwesterner when I hear cedar I think junipers. Not the west coast versions.

atlas cedar is beautiful, i have one from lebanon, and another dwarf, I don't remember the variant, I would like more than one of these, in the garden, I didn't know they responded positively to pruning and rapid growth, Very good

I remembered this today. @Mirco22 what about a linden tree. It grows fast.and can give quite some shade. You can lead the branches horizontally.
Problem with fast growing trees is the wood is weak (branches breaking off), so close to your home can be an issue. But fast shade needs trade-offs.

Google leilinden for images of leading the tree branches. This would allow for quick shade with much less hazard. There may be other languages/cultures where they do the same..I grew up with this.

I remembered this today. @Mirco22 what about a linden tree. It grows fast.and can give quite some shade. You can lead the branches horizontally.
Problem with fast growing trees is the wood is weak (branches breaking off), so close to your home can be an issue. But fast shade needs trade-offs.

Google leilinden for images of leading the tree branches. This would allow for quick shade with much less hazard. There may be other languages/cultures where they do the same..I grew up with this.
Thanks Stoveliker, I initially discounted this one, in Italy I read, slow, but this mainly refers to seed germination, I notice now,
starting instead from a small tree, it seems an excellent choice for summer shade, and light in winter, as suggested by Ebs-P.
Some of your native maples should meet your criteria.
Thank you, yes I agree,
the only downside is the not too long life.

Depending on the species, they’ll live at least 150 years.

Just be aware that quick shade from a naturally grown tree means the tree will have to grow quickly. That generally (there'll likely be someone pointing out an exception...) results in weak trees, and thus hazards for your home.

Stronger trees grow slower.

Hence my thought about the guiding of the linden trees; it puts the energy of the tree in the branches that provide you most shade, rather than making a full canopy. As such it can provide a faster result.
Though linden trees also are weak trees. (But the guiding leaves much less mass near your home that could fall on it.)

Not sure if this guiding is done with other trees as well.

Old farms where I'm from often have these in the front of the home.

Just be aware that quick shade from a naturally grown tree means the tree will have to grow quickly. That generally (there'll likely be someone pointing out an exception...) results in weak trees, and thus hazards for your home.

Stronger trees grow slower.

Hence my thought about the guiding of the linden trees; it puts the energy of the tree in the branches that provide you most shade, rather than making a full canopy. As such it can provide a faster result.
Though linden trees also are weak trees. (But the guiding leaves much less mass near your home that could fall on it.)

Not sure if this guiding is done with other trees as well.

Old farms where I'm from often have these in the front of the home.
yes unfortunately I understand the mechanism, and I would add that fast growth is also connected to the short life of the tree, with some possible exceptions, but I don't worry about any fallen trees being about 30 feet from the house, if they really get too big, tall, it will be time to prune them

topping or pruning is a recipe for disaster. Tree companies do that, but arborists invariably advise against it.
It's inviting disease into the tree and results in more damage from falling branches than taking the tree down.

topping or pruning is a recipe for disaster. Tree companies do that, but arborists invariably advise against it.
It's inviting disease into the tree and results in more damage from falling branches than taking the tree down.
This is true for some tree species, but not all. Nature seriously topped our eucalyptus several years ago during a big ice storm. I was concerned and called in an arborist. He said it may have been the best thing that happened to the tree. That was 25 yrs ago, the tree is thriving. Proper pruning should not harm the tree. It's done all the time for fruit trees.

It may be good for some specific trees, but for the far majority, it is absolutely not.
And I note that when I read the post it said "topping the tree".

Pruning of fruit trees is done a lot, of course. But even there it causes stress - most flora starts making seeds when they get stressed. Hence pruning fruit trees. That does not mean the life expectancy or mechanical integrity of the tree is not harmed.

Tree topping, for most trees (I admit I don't know eucalyptus trees, but I did work at a tree nursery for more than a decade), is causing more harm than good by decreasing the structural integrity of trees.

I have a south western single story exposure that isn’t shaded well.

I’m considering a seasonal sunshade something like this. It’s not the the perfect size but… I could put up in a day.

ColourTree 10' x 20' Beige Rectangle Sun Shade Sail Canopy Awning Fabric Cloth Screen - UV Block UV Resistant Heavy Duty Commercial Grade - Outdoor Patio Carport - (We Make Custom Size) https://a.co/d/1cYg0gK

I have a south western single story exposure that isn’t shaded well.

I’m considering a seasonal sunshade something like this. It’s not the the perfect size but… I could put up in a day.

ColourTree 10' x 20' Beige Rectangle Sun Shade Sail Canopy Awning Fabric Cloth Screen - UV Block UV Resistant Heavy Duty Commercial Grade - Outdoor Patio Carport - (We Make Custom Size) https://a.co/d/1cYg0gK
it's a great solution, until trees grow, I also have south and west sides uncovered, I have looked at this solution several times, I just have some doubts about the wind

For a temporary solution, some greenhouse shade cloth would work. I am amazed at how effective it is on our greenhouse.

it's a great solution, until trees grow, I also have south and west sides uncovered, I have looked at this solution several times, I just have some doubts about the wind
The one I have is not expensive. I imagine it will tear before the hardware fails. I wanted to use it as a car port but the possibility of damage to a car has stopped me (that and time). If you read how to secure the stonger Sun sails they recommend through bolting through two rafters or joists.

my choice, is falling on, Tilia platyphyllos, considering size, compatibility, longevity plane tree was also very good, but probably potentially too big to put 2 at 22 feet away

Reactions: stoveliker
I found in Olympia, Greece these two lindens connected!
IMG_20230630_215151.jpg

Once finished, put in some plane trees, lime trees and sycamore maples, I hope they grow 😁 thanks to all for advices👍

IMG_20230927_181832.jpg IMG_20230927_181820.jpg IMG_20230927_181753.jpg

Reactions: EbS-P