Tried my new tool

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Spartan

Burning Hunk
Jan 6, 2015
Upstate New York
This past winter I had a plugged drain in the middle of my main 3" line. No biggie. Just chastised the grand daughter for dumping kitty litter in the toilet and then augered it out with my snake.

As I was doing it the light came on.

Went to the plumbing store and purchased a 15 foot spring steel drain cleaner. Removed the steel from its cradle and fully extended it. I then wrapped the steel with several layers of duct tape beginning 4" from the end to a length of 10 feet. Then took a 4" dryer vent brush which I trimmed to an OD of 3.25 inches and attached it to the end of the snake.

This contraption was then inserted into a plastic pail with a 2" hole in the lid. Left the brush end out.

Yesterday I used this to clean the chimney. After brushing I then used my vac with sufficient hose to to vacuum the inside of the chimney from chimney end to stove.

Course I could not really tell how well my new tool performed on this trial run so I took the vent apart for a post snaking inspection. Clean to the metal all the way. The cleanout t had a very small amount of ash in the bottom but nothing to be concerned about.

I think this will be a workable substitute to taking my vent apart after burning each ton.

Reactions: ScotL
Picture please - I don't have much of an imagination or creative streak, so my visualization skills are basically nil :(

Visual is probably best ... trying to figure the purpose of the pail? W/o the lid, it could potentially capture falling ash...

Visual is probably best ... trying to figure the purpose of the pail? W/o the lid, it could potentially capture falling ash...

The spring steel is inside the pail. It is pulled through the 2" hole in the top. The pail just holds the steel neatly and in one place. The original cradle could not hold the steel after the tape was applied. I applied tape to minimize the chance of damage to the vent.

Will load photo later.

Status
Not open for further replies.