triple wall temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Do you mean triple-wall chimney pipe? I don't think there is any triple-wall stove pipe.

If chimney pipe, it would depend. There is air cooled chimney pipe on some zero-clearance fireplaces and there is DuraPlus triple-wall chimney pipe with an inner insulated jacket. Which is this?

Do you mean triple-wall chimney pipe? I don't think there is any triple-wall stove pipe.

If chimney pipe, it would depend. There is air cooled chimney pipe on some zero-clearance fireplaces and there is DuraPlus triple-wall chimney pipe with an inner insulated jacket. Which is this?
triple-wall chimney pipe

I don't know what a zero-clearance fireplace is. How can I tell t what kind of triple-wall it is?

<"it would depend">...--ball park??

It's 6" stove pipe and the outside diameter of the chimney pipe is 9".

Right now, the fire is not blazing, but a couple logs are burning. I get 450 shooting through the glass, 350 on the steel side of the stove, 290 on the 6" pipe right out of the top of the stove, 160 just before the pipe goes into the chimney pipe, and 100 degrees on the chimney pipe. On the roof the pipe coming out of the chimney pipe is 170 and the top of the chimney pipe is 120. (F)

IR readings off the stove glass and shiny stainless chimney pipe will be off due to the difference in emissivity. Temperature readings are going to vary a lot depending on how the stove is run and the stage of the fire.

This sounds like DuraPlus if the chimney pipe is from the last 15 yrs. Can you post some pictures of the chimney pipe & cap, and the stove?

IR readings off the stove glass and shiny stainless chimney pipe will be off due to the difference in emissivity. Temperature readings are going to vary a lot depending on how the stove is run and the stage of the fire.

This sounds like DuraPlus if the chimney pipe is from the last 15 yrs. Can you post some pictures of the chimney pipe & cap, and the stove?

I don't think I can get you any pictures. My phone can take pictures but I can't upload them. Verizon changed something I used to upload pictures with ease. That's a topic for another forum.

"The cap." I assume that's the part up on the roof that exhausts hot air from the triple-wall? And the 6" pipe sticks into it to give me my six-foot exterior pipe (chimney)?

Here is the problem with the cap. When I installed everything, about 15 years ago, I had the cap too close to the roof. I have an apparently unfixable water leak where the chimney goes through the roof. I've been putting roofing tar around the chimney to no avail. The roofing tar has gotten thick enough that it has reached the cap. The exhaust from the triple-wall can only escape on one side of the cap. That side of the cap is mucho warm and halfway around the other side is cold, because no exhaust can escape there. Come on down to Greenville VA and climb up on the roof and check it out.

i need a new stove. Next year for that. When I install the new stove, (during the summer) I'll open up the roof, fix the water leak, and make sure the cap is high enough.

That's what was worrying me. The roofing tar is warm and soft on the side where the triple-wall exhausts, I was afraid I had a burnt through chimney and that I was about to burn everything to the ground, but I don't think that's true. I think it's just that I have too much tar on one side and it's partially blocking the exhaust. I'm gonna go up there tomorrow and dig a lot of that roofing tar from around the triple-wall cap. The water leak can't get any worse than it is. When it rains, the water drips (heavily) down onto the top of the stove.

Thanks for the reply.

by the way... I think the stove is a BlazeKing.

Wow. If I'm understanding this correctly that sounds dangerous as hell. You have enough tar coating your chimney that it's blocking off half the cap? I hope for your safety that I'm misunderstanding this. I has tar on my roof to. Because of leaks and cant afford new roof right now.It touches the flashing but not the chimney. Roof tar is flammable. At least the brand I used is.

Yes, this does not sound good. The chimney temp at the cap sounds low. That likely means creosote build up. Tar should not be anywhere near the cap. The cap should be at least 3 ft. above the roof or higher to meet the 10-3-2 rule.

5284640.gif

Thanks for the picture. I can barely read any of it. On my laptop the print comes out small and blurred.

I can read chimney cap on the top. My chimney cap is six feet high on a flat roof. No problem there.

No, the cap I was talking about is the cap of the triple-wall. I don't see it in this picture. This picture is entirely different than what I have, but at least we have the matter of the chimney cap cleared up.

The closest item in this picture would be the conical section that is described by two words. The first word looks like it starts with an "S" and the second word looks like it starts with a "C".

It's right above the angled part that sits on the roof which looks like it's call a Roof Hechung or something like that. I can't read it.

Storm Collar and Roof Flashing. Sorry for the crummy picture, but I am really happy that you don't have tar up to your chimney cap.

Thanks for the picture. I can barely read any of it. On my laptop the print comes out small and blurred.

I can read chimney cap on the top. My chimney cap is six feet high on a flat roof. No problem there.

No, the cap I was talking about is the cap of the triple-wall. I don't see it in this picture. This picture is entirely different than what I have, but at least we have the matter of the chimney cap cleared up.

The closest item in this picture would be the conical section that is described by two words. The first word looks like it starts with an "S" and the second word looks like it starts with a "C".

It's right above the angled part that sits on the roof which looks like it's call a Roof Hechung or something like that. I can't read it.
Does the triple wall not run all the way up to the top?

I urge you to solve the picture posting issue or get a certified sweep to inspect this installation. PM me if you need help with the pictures. We are flying blind here without better information and some visuals.

Screen Shot 2022-11-14 at 11.27.33 AM.png

The triple-wall runs through the ceiling and the roof. Then there are six feet of stovepipe up to the cap.
It's very likely that the transition to stove pipe above the roof (which isn't allowed) is the source of your leak

I urge you to solve the picture posting issue or get a certified sweep to inspect this installation. PM me if you need help with the pictures. We are flying blind here without better information and some visuals.

View attachment 302789
It's cool. I cleared away the tar at the top of the triple wall where it comes through the roof.

I've been running it for 15 years, but I added more tar this summer. The extra tar made the leak worse for some reason. Not only that but for some reason it swelled and reached the triple-wall. That's what had me worried. I cleared away the tar. No problem. The triple-wall is cool now.

It's very likely that the transition to stove pipe above the roof (which isn't allowed) is the source of your leak
Are you saying that if you want six feet of chimney above the roof it has to be triple-wall from the roof all the way to the cap, six feet up?

Are you saying that if you want six feet of chimney above the roof it has to be triple-wall from the roof all the way to the cap, six feet up?
Absolutely

Changing the diameters and construction of pipe outdoors is allowing water to find its way into the mismatched pipes.

Stovepipe is only designed and permitted for indoor use, in the same room envelope as the stove. There are no exceptions.

Can you explain the reasoning behind that?
That is what is required by mechanical building and fire codes. And required by every chimney manufacturer. Uninsulated pipe outside will cool exhaust quickly leading to creosote buildup.

Reactions: stonefly4