Trouble locating wood stove chimney installers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Totohydra

Dec 7, 2014
Kentucky
I live in Kentucky so you think finding someone that offers stove chimney pipe installation wouldn't be that difficult. No one seems to advertise themselves as performing this service. The few companies I could find sold extremely expensive stoves (unlike mine from Tractor Supply) and wanted to do uber-upscale chimney and hearth productions.

Is there a particular codeword I'm supposed to use? I just want a straightforward, competent, through the ceiling and roof pipe install. Any and all advice appreciated!

Expand your search to include HVAC firms. Those that install boilers are experienced in class a piping already. Get a permit and have it inspected. Remember to instruct them to preserve your stoves clearances both the unit and the connector as they may pay little attention to that detail when installing the chimney pipe alone. Dont hire any shoemakers! Check them out.

Check with local chimney sweeps

Expand your search to include HVAC firms. Those that install boilers are experienced in class a piping already. Get a permit and have it inspected. Remember to instruct them to preserve your stoves clearances both the unit and the connector as they may pay little attention to that detail when installing the chimney pipe alone. Dont hire any shoemakers! Check them out.
If you have to tell them to honor clearances you shouldnt hire them.

I live in Kentucky so you think finding someone that offers stove chimney pipe installation wouldn't be that difficult. No one seems to advertise themselves as performing this service. The few companies I could find sold extremely expensive stoves (unlike mine from Tractor Supply) and wanted to do uber-upscale chimney and hearth productions.

Is there a particular codeword I'm supposed to use? I just want a straightforward, competent, through the ceiling and roof pipe install. Any and all advice appreciated!
What do you mean by uber upscale?

If your semi handy you can do it yourself, you just need a through the roof kit (comes with everything you need from ceiling support box, to chimney cap) sections of class a chimney pipe, depending how high your going outside possibly a roof brace. Its fairly straight forward to install it and it requires pretty ordinary tools like a sawzal, sheet rock knife, hammer, nails, drill, silicone.
I'm far from the most handy person but I did my own, and got it done in a few hours.

If you have to tell them to honor clearances you shouldnt hire them.

Meaning if the stove isnt sitting in its final place they may not locate the ceiling box in the right location for stove and connector clearance. They will know about the chimney pipe clearances. He asked about chimney installation not setting the stove and connector pipe. He mentioned buying his stove from a DIY retailer.

Meaning if the stove isnt sitting in its final place they may not locate the ceiling box in the right location for stove and connector clearance. They will know about the chimney pipe clearances. He asked about chimney installation not setting the stove and connector pipe. He mentioned buying his stove from a DIY retailer.
Yes but if you have to tell your installer to pay attention to clearances there is something very wrong. And i wouldnt want them working in my house.

Yes but if you have to tell your installer to pay attention to clearances there is something very wrong. And i wouldnt want them working in my house.
He is hiring them to install the chimney not the stove. They would need to be advised of what the stove clearances are upfront unless he places the stove prior to their arrival. I can play this game all day.

He is hiring them to install the chimney not the stove. They would need to be advised of what the stove clearances are upfront unless he places the stove prior to their arrival. I can play this game all day.
Yes but how could someone possibly install a chimney properly without knowing where it had to go to meet clearances? Again anyone installing a chimney should never have to be reminded to follow clearances. I would much rather see a diy install than that.

When does the DIY person note the clearances of the stove and connector in relation to the chimney installation?

When does the DIY person note the clearances of the stove and connector in relation to the chimney installation?
When it comes to something like this most reasonable diyers go over all of that info many times before starting. It is their house and they dont want to burn it down. Hvac guys are used to dealing with furnaces with much lower exhaust temps and i have seen lots of work by them that was nowhere near required clearances. To me i wouldnt want someone like that working in my house. If i am hiring a pro to do a job i shouldnt have to tell them how it needs to be done to be safe.

And anyone diy or pro installing a chimney for anything needs to know those clearances ahead of time. Those hvac guys should be checking clearances for the furnaces they install as well if they are reputable so they should be used to it.

So when I say to advise them of the stove and connector clearances ahead of time, that is a good thing?

So when I say to advise them of the stove and connector clearances ahead of time, that is a good thing?
If you had said that yes. But you said instruct them to preserve clearances. Absolutly you need to provide them with the specs. They should ask for that info before giving a quote.

I too had to call a surprising number of people. Eventually I started asking those who didn't do new wood stove installs if they could recommend anyone that could and found our guy that way.

The guys that did my install wanted the stove in place first so they could locate the hole in the ceiling but I'm sure if I had put an X where I wanted the center of the hole that would have been fine too.

If you had said that yes. But you said instruct them to preserve clearances. Absolutly you need to provide them with the specs. They should ask for that info before giving a quote.

Now youre just being a goof. You know I said to preserve the clearances required for the stove and connector.

Now youre just being a goof. You know I said to preserve the clearances required for the stove and connector.
Yes which is very different from giving them the info on the stove. That may very well be what you meant and i agree with you completly on that point. It just is not how your original statement came across.

It is exactly the same thing. What if the stove was listed to allow less than 18" to the single wall and they wanted to install it per manufacturer's UL tested design? All pertinent info to give an installer of the chimney. No different than a GC giving a sub a blueprint of the proposed job.

It is exactly the same thing. What if the stove was listed to allow less than 18" to the single wall and they wanted to install it per manufacturer's UL tested design? All pertinent info to give an installer of the chimney. No different than a GC giving a sub a blueprint of the proposed job.
Ok relax it was the way you worded it that made me comment. If you had said from the start give them the specs for your stove so they have the clearances to follow i would have agreed with you from the start. But you didnt you said remind them to follow the clearances for the unit and connector. To which i responded if they need reminded to follow clearances you shouldnt hire them. I think it was a misunderstanding and i apologise for my part of it. But your first post wasnt worded very well if that is what you meant.

Sorry for the diversion from your origonal question. I will say that it is pretty common that the chimney and heath will exceed the cost of the stove with a budget stove like you have it can easily be double the stove price. Which is why i asked what you meant by uber upscale. To save some money if you are reasonably handy doing the installation is not that hard. Just make sure you read and follow all of the instructions.

Ok relax it was the way you worded it that made me comment. If you had said from the start give them the specs for your stove so they have the clearances to follow i would have agreed with you from the start. But you didnt you said remind them to follow the clearances for the unit and connector. To which i responded if they need reminded to follow clearances you shouldnt hire them. I think it was a misunderstanding and i apologise for my part of it. But your first post wasnt worded very well if that is what you meant.

Relaxing. Post haste.