Trouser suspenders

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WoodyIsGoody

Minister of Fire
Jan 16, 2017
Pacific NW Washington
Anyone wear suspenders? I like wearing suspenders when firewood cutting but am having trouble finding good ones. They need to be somewhat elastic but all the ones I have found don't have strong enough elastic to cope with my heavy Carharts with double knees because I take a 38 inseam which is too much weight for wimpy elastic to deal with, especially if the jeans get a little wet from brush or rain.

Who makes some really durable clip-on suspenders. Bonus if they have plastic clips because the steel ones I've seen are not that great in terms of ease of operation, comfort and weight.

A 38" inseam?! How tall are you?

6'-04". A lot of jeans have a maximum 36" inseam which I'll also wear but, if they are available in 38", that's what I go with. It keeps the chainsaw wood chips from ending up in my boots!

6'-04". A lot of jeans have a maximum 36" inseam which I'll also wear but, if they are available in 38", that's what I go with. It keeps the chainsaw wood chips from ending up in my boots!

Well that makes sense. And there's nothing worse than taking off your boots and having wood chips stuck all over your socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Labonville suspenders to hold up my chaps.

Check Duluth trading, Nothing but good quality clothing so far.

Check Duluth trading, Nothing but good quality clothing so far.

Thanks to all three of you for the ideas. I didn't see any of those options come up when Googling for suspenders. The Labonville branded ones looked super nice but when I saw shipping/handling was going to be more than the suspenders, I couldn't pull the trigger. So I ordered a pair from Duluth and found enough other stuff to take advantage of free shipping. Even with free shipping the Duluth suspenders were about the same price as the ones from Labonville plus s/h. Funny how psychology works! If they don't work out I'll probably try the Labonvilles.

Thanks to all three of you for the ideas. I didn't see any of those options come up when Googling for suspenders. The Labonville branded ones looked super nice but when I saw shipping/handling was going to be more than the suspenders, I couldn't pull the trigger. So I ordered a pair from Duluth and found enough other stuff to take advantage of free shipping. Even with free shipping the Duluth suspenders were about the same price as the ones from Labonville plus s/h. Funny how psychology works! If they don't work out I'll probably try the Labonvilles.
I was noticing that a pair of bib overalls was almost cheaper than a set of suspenders
https://www.google.com/search?q=far...j0j8&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

i have these

tape-measure-yellow-suspenders.jpg

Reactions: VirginiaIron
BTW, I also wear the carhartt logger dungarees, and those suspenders fit perfectly!

I have a set of Husqvarnas holding my chain saw pants up. Was too easy to buy them off the shelf at the dealer while I was in there one time. They don't seem to interfere with the operation of my Stihls either. :)

(Tip: whatever you do, don't hang your pants up by the suspenders. That will stretch them to uselessness in fairly short order...)

These are what I wear. There are none better in my opinion.
http://www.loggersuspenders.com

Ok, both pairs of suspenders have arrived.

Better S-penders from loggersuspenders .com and the Duluth Trading suspenders. Both are metal clip style and both were about the same price ($24ish). I like the DT suspenders but they are basic suspenders made from what looks to be high quality wide elastic bands. The Better S-penders are incredible! I got their red x-back metal clip suspenders. Their elastic looks to be even higher quality than DT. They're not quite as wide but, when they are stretched, they only stretch a certain amount before the fabric comes tight and prevents over-stretching. I think they will last longer before getting the dreaded wrinkly, over-stretched appearance.

What really sets them apart is the leather work. Beautiful, thick black full grain leather straps with adjustable chrome buckles adorn the front. The leather thickness/quality is what you would expect from old school leather craftsmen. They even have two D-rings on the front to keep a logger's whistle or attach other useful items where they will be handy. I suspect they use left-over scraps from a high quality maker of leather boots or riding saddles. Gorgeous! Almost makes me wish I had pants with suspender buttons so I could wear the more classic button suspenders. These suspenders are straight out of one of the greatest American novels of all time, "Sometimes a Great Notion", which makes sense when you learn they are made in Grants Pass, OR.

For some reason the red ones I purchased are marked only $22 while the otherwise identical ones with black or tan elastic are $36.50. Maybe they have a surplus of red elastic strapping? Because these look more like $40 units, not $22! Interestingly, both brands use the exact same metal clips (except the logger suspenders clips are chromed while the DT clips are painted black).

If you want real "logger" suspenders that are so stylish and so well made they will transport you back to the glory days of early PNW logging, with images of misty fog, ferns and giant trees, I highly recommend these suspenders. And while you're at it, order a copy of "Sometimes a Great Notion" by Ken Kesey to complete the illusion of travelling back in time. Your next door neighbor, you know, the country bumpkin that lives on the adjoining property 1/4 mile down the road, will be very impressed!

Thanks for the tips, now I'm in suspender heaven and can avoid that dreaded "slip sliding away" feeling when I work up a sweat in heavy work pants. Who would have known that a simple search for better suspenders would lead back to a company called "Better S-penders" and trip to another era?

Reactions: Maxgussam
I'm glad that you like the Better S-pensers!
That is what I wear with the Carhartt double logger dungarees. (The button suspender style)
I think that they are the best work suspenders available.

Last edited: