Troy-Bilt 565 mower won't turn off

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I just picked up a Troy-Bilt 565 mower. It's in great shape and the price was right (free). It has one issue, it doesn't kill the engine when the blade engage handle is released. Other than that it works great. I am using the fuel shut-off to eventually kill the motor but would like to fix this issue. It has a Honda 160cc motor.

Before I start working on it I thought I'd ask if someone has fixed one of these mowers. Has anyone worked on a Troy-Bilt 565?
http://www.troybilt.com/equipment/troybilt/troy-bilt-walk-behind-12av565q711

I tackled this yesterday. I was expecting it to be more complicated but the problem turned out to be that the grounding wire from the kill switch had come off the terminal on the coil. It took longer to disassemble than it took to fix. Now the mower is 100% functional. Works great!

Reactions: blacktail
Gotta love those problems. I was going to suggest a ground wire to the coil or ignition, as that’s a standard way of killing small engines, but you had it fixed before I saw the first post.

Now let’s hope the “mechanical problem” with the plane I’m currently awaiting was that simple.