Trying to choose a pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy P

Oct 20, 2012
Stove Floorplan.JPG

Hi all. I am trying to figure out what size pellet stove to get. I currently have a free standing propane stove where the stove is shown in the drawing. It does nothing except burn propane. I am always cold during the winter and I am still spending a fortune. I am planning on replacing it with a pellet stove in the same place. Areas F,B,C,D are a big open area. G & H are seperate rooms with open passage ways to the main open area.

The second floor, the room to the left of "F" (not shown) and room "E" are heated by a propane forced air system. The "FA" items shown on the drawing are forced air registers. I assume the one in "D" is there to provide system airflow back into the open area as the air return is located at the top of the stairs. The room to the left of "F" and room "E" and all rooms upstairs can be closed off so the forced air system will heat them. There is also a propane insert in room "G" but I don't use it, or only use it for "ambiance" when needed, as again it provides very little heat unless I want to spend a fortune on propane. (I can't put a pellet stove or insert there, as there is no way to redo the flue pipe).

So, I want to heat A (bathroom), B, C, D, F, G and H with my pellet stove. The front entry, up the stairs and the upstairs hallway will also be heated as it is all open and can't be closed off. The total main area I am trying to heat is about 1194 SqFt, plus the stairway area entry and upstairs hallway so the total is about 1450SqFt.

I am looking at the Breckwell Big E or the Classic Cast, as I have some friends who have Breckwell and they are happy with them. Here is the brochure:
http://breckwell.com/PointofPurchase/BreckwellBrochure.pdf

The Big E puts out a lot of heat but the Cast is a little more decorative. So I guess my question is: for what I am trying to accomplish, can I get away with the Classic Cast (400SF to 2000SF) or should I really do the Big E (400SF to 2200SF). I am concerned that I will either have too much stove with the Big E or be pushing the Classic Cast.

What say all?

What model Breckwells do your friends have? Do they have a Big E or Calssic Cast (I do like the look of this one/always have).

Have you looked into other models?

I don't have any knowledge about the Breckwells but I would ere on the side of "too much stove" unless you would have to constantly run the stove very low. I know economics plays into the equation also - as it does for most of us. The adjustablility of most pellet stoves provides you with alot of flexibility You should be able to get decent air movement by putting a box fan (set on low) in the doorway between B and G, between G and H or in the hallway by the stairs. Point the fan towards the stove to push the cooler air towards it. When using a fan to create air movement it is general better to try and move the cool air towards the stove rather than move the warm air away from it because the cooler air is more dense. It is more effective "push" the air (fan on low) than "mix" the air (fan on high). By pushing air out of 1 end of G or H, it should encourage air flow into G or H from the opposite end thus drawing the warm air into the room. Play with the fan placement a little bit and you should be able to create the convection you are looking for to effectively heat the spaces you are trying to heat.

Is that propane stove made for heating or just decoration? If it is for heating, then what is that rated at for btu?

Why do I have the alphabet song stuck in my head now?

What model Breckwells do your friends have? Do they have a Big E or Calssic Cast (I do like the look of this one/always have).

Have you looked into other models?

I have looked into other stoves, but the cost was prohibitive for me. (Harman) One of the people I talked to have had their Breckwell for many years. I am not sure which model they have.

Is that propane stove made for heating or just decoration? If it is for heating, then what is that rated at for btu?

Being that there are no registers (other than that one small one) in these 3/4 rooms, I would say the propane stoves were put in for heating those areas. It does heat the area, but during the coldest months it is up to $500 every three weeks with only one running (other than the forced air system, but that isn't on that much as we are mostly in the open areas on the first floor), and that is just to keep it livable. It is still a chilly mid 60 to high 60s and at night turned down to 55. It is rediculous.

I don't have any knowledge about the Breckwells but I would ere on the side of "too much stove" unless you would have to constantly run the stove very low. I know economics plays into the equation also - as it does for most of us. The adjustablility of most pellet stoves provides you with alot of flexibility You should be able to get decent air movement by putting a box fan (set on low) in the doorway between B and G, between G and H or in the hallway by the stairs. Point the fan towards the stove to push the cooler air towards it. When using a fan to create air movement it is general better to try and move the cool air towards the stove rather than move the warm air away from it because the cooler air is more dense. It is more effective "push" the air (fan on low) than "mix" the air (fan on high). By pushing air out of 1 end of G or H, it should encourage air flow into G or H from the opposite end thus drawing the warm air into the room. Play with the fan placement a little bit and you should be able to create the convection you are looking for to effectively heat the spaces you are trying to heat.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. Plus the "too much stove" holds about 140 lbs of pellets (more with an extension) compared to 50 pounds. I like the fan ideas. Many years ago I also saw an interesting concept. Someone put registers in with fans and ran a vent from the ceiling area of the stove room to the floor of the next.

Thanks!

I have looked into other stoves, but the cost was prohibitive for me. (Harman) One of the people I talked to have had their Breckwell for many years. I am not sure which model they have.

The Breckwells of today are not the Breckwells from the past. Breckwell is now owned by US Stove Works. Things have changed a little and not a lot of info since the sale.

I would explore some of the other stove options out there if you can. You may find something that has more features for about the same dollar spent. Breckwells don't have a lot of frills like a variable combustion blower so for every heat setting you'll need to adjust the damper.

The Breckwells of today are not the Breckwells from the past. Breckwell is now owned by US Stove Works. Things have changed a little and not a lot of info since the sale.

I would explore some of the other stove options out there if you can. You may find something that has more features for about the same dollar spent. Breckwells don't have a lot of frills like a variable combustion blower so for every heat setting you'll need to adjust the damper.

I am open to suggestions...... I would prefer a more traditional look, and one that can be controlled by a room thermostat as I do travel some and I have a remote thermostat now that I can control the propane stove with.

OK. Suggestions? I can get a Breckwell Big E from a deal direct for $1799.00 delivered. The Haraman I wanted was almost $4K. So, stoves? Dealers? I am in Northern California so I am looking for something shipped from out of state or that I can go purchase in Southern Oregon.

Thanks!

JP

Being that there are no registers (other than that one small one) in these 3/4 rooms, I would say the propane stoves were put in for heating those areas. It does heat the area, but during the coldest months it is up to $500 every three weeks with only one running (other than the forced air system, but that isn't on that much as we are mostly in the open areas on the first floor), and that is just to keep it livable. It is still a chilly mid 60 to high 60s and at night turned down to 55. It is rediculous.

I was thinking more of comparing BTU of the free standing propane stove to BTU of the pellet stove to give you an idea of how big of a stove to buy. As we all know, a lot has to do with how the heat distributes when running. I'm not too sure on how propane heat compares to pellet heat other than price.

Status
Not open for further replies.