Two flues, two fireplaces - one chimney.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jan 12, 2016
Newland, NC
I have a single chimney structure in the middle of my house. It has two separate fireplaces that are not view able from both sides has firebrick wall between them.

They have two separate flues. Currently I have a Buck Model 91 on one side and gas logs on the other. I want two woodstoves (want a Buck Model 20 for where Gas is). Anything about the design of a double flued fireplace that would make this difficult.

I have a single chimney structure in the middle of my house. It has two separate fireplaces that are not view able from both sides has firebrick wall between them.

They have two separate flues. Currently I have a Buck Model 91 on one side and gas logs on the other. I want two woodstoves (want a Buck Model 20 for where Gas is). Anything about the design of a double flued fireplace that would make this difficult.
There may be there may not be. From your description no but we are not there to see it.

There may be there may not be. From your description no but we are not there to see it.

I understand you cannot see it. Just asking if there are any issues with that design. I have never had two flues so close before. My other house has three chimneys but they are all in completely different sections of the house.

I have been reading up and I did have some work done on the chimney top to improve safety and draw for the gas fireplace insert (staggered flues).

I understand you cannot see it. Just asking if there are any issues with that design. I have never had two flues so close before. My other house has three chimneys but they are all in completely different sections of the house.

I have been reading up and I did have some work done on the chimney top to improve safety and draw for the gas fireplace insert (staggered flues).
Again nothing in the design as described that would pose a problem. But that in no way means there may not be one

Are you going to burn both at the same time all the time? or use one as a primary and one as a kicker during the depth of cold? If your going with option 2, I would make the chimney cap higher on the primary by installing an anchor kit and a section of class a to make sure the smoke doesn't get sucked down the other flue if you develop a reverse draft, I would also look into installing an OAK for both units, so they have dedicated air, 2 stoves burning in the same foot print may cause inside drafts that my become uncomfortable after a while.

If the chimney is built correctly then it shouldn't be an issue. By correctly I mean "to code". As bholler said, it sounds fine but you should definitely get a complete inspection of the system to make sure it's suited for what you need to do. The back-to-back deal shouldn't have any bearing on functionality and/or heat concerns either if built right. Staggering the flues at the top as mentioned would probably be helpful although it may not be completely necessary depending on the house pressurization issues. It's not a complicated fix if necessary.

The chimney and fireplaces have been redone and meet code.

The previous owner was fairly incompetent and it took a lot of work to fix. He had knocked out the wall between the two separate fireplaces so he could have a double sided fireplace. Then later he knocked a big hole in the side of the chimney to install some kind of furnace.

Had to repair all that and then did floor to ceiling rock facade and relined the chimneys.

It passes inspection. One woodstove (which I have in the main part of the house) heats all that side, but the dairy (house was a barn) is almost separate and it is our master bedroom suite of 700+ square feet with a skillion roof. I did not like my gas bill this year so am considering a Buck 20 for that side. I have my flues staggered and they are to code in separation.

I have read different things on the double flue, but think I am good. Will talk to my inspector about it before doing two wood stoves.

Did the inspector require an outside air connection for the bedroom fireplace insert?