Two lit tonight.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MTY

Feeling the Heat
Jan 9, 2019
Idaho
It was getting chilly about the time the sun started down, so I fired up the Hearthstone in addition to the King. It is quite toasty inside tonight.

Thought there was a typo and you'd settled down with a favorite drink or 3 before the fire. Too lit tonight!

The cold is in Idaho now? It's certainly not here.

The cold is in Idaho now? It's certainly not here.
Yeah, what's the closest city so we can pull it up on NWS..? 54 here right now..stove about out.

That's quite a departure from your normal temps, then. _g

That's quite a departure from your normal temps, then. _g
Today was like the February days I remember from 40 years ago. Clear, sunny and freezing cold. I doubt if it got above freezing all day. I started a fire in the yard to get rid of debris, and it melted off the snow and thawed the ground around it, but as it died down the mud started freezing again.

The mini ex was slow starting, I was going to use it to pile brush and branches on the fire, but the tracks were frozen. I could lift it clear of the ground with the hoe and blade, but I had parked it with gooey mud coating the tracks on the shady side of the house.

Tonight is quite a bit warmer. It is starting to cloud up and rain snow mix is in the forecast. It should be one stove from here on out.

It was getting chilly about the time the sun started down, so I fired up the Hearthstone in addition to the King. It is quite toasty inside tonight.

I run two stoves October thru April. It loses its luster pretty quickly, when you’re loading x2 every night, and doing double ash pan duty.

... and to think I was trying to convince my wife to install a third stove, just a few years ago!

I run two, it gets old fast, but I stay warm!

I run two stoves October thru April. It loses its luster pretty quickly, when you’re loading x2 every night, and doing double ash pan duty.

... and to think I was trying to convince my wife to install a third stove, just a few years ago!

We run two stoves too. One is a pellet so it breaks up th routine a bit. It’s actually pretty nice having one of each. They both heat on different principles, one radiant and one convection, which adds flexibility to the overall heating scheme. Depending on outside temperature and our schedule, we mix and match which stove(s) to run, when, and for how long. For example, if we run the wood stove during the day and let it go out in the evening, the pellet stove on a low idle will keep the house warm all night. That’s using only 20 lbs or so of pellets. The pellet stove takes a bit of wood work load off me as well.

We run two stoves too. One is a pellet so it breaks up th routine a bit. It’s actually pretty nice having one of each. They both heat on different principles, one radiant and one convection, which adds flexibility to the overall heating scheme. Depending on outside temperature and our schedule, we mix and match which stove(s) to run, when, and for how long. For example, if we run the wood stove during the day and let it go out in the evening, the pellet stove on a low idle will keep the house warm all night. That’s using only 20 lbs or so of pellets. The pellet stove takes a bit of wood work load off me as well.
I was thinking pellet for upstairs. Two stoves mean double the wood cutting/stacking/loading. If I lose power or on milder days I'll just run the wood stove.

Reactions: Ashful
I was thinking pellet for upstairs. Two stoves mean double the wood cutting/stacking/loading. If I lose power or on milder days I'll just run the wood stove.

Ditto. I’ve been having similar thoughts, recently.

I lied. I had to fire up the second stove again as we got the tail end of the Seattle snow storm. I lit it yesterday morinig, and it is still going. Low temps, and then snow. i plowed about 6" of dry powder out ot the driveway with the 1952 8N Ford tractor tonight. It is still snowing, but is supposed to hit mid 40's tomorrow.

A pellet stove would be a convienent back up.