Two topics... wood processing retirement and wood cutting time commitment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I been making firewood since I was a boy. Some of my best father-son discussions about sports, girls, grades, cars occurred working together making firewood with my dad. I raised my kids the same way. Probably the greatest days of my life are the stories, pranks, weird firewood stack forts, etc I had making firewood with my kids. They're grown now but still come around and help. We still try to work as a " team" whenever we can. Nothing better in life than being blessed enough to work along side your kids while they are growing up. You build a special bond. Nowadays I am waiting on the grand kids.... Can't wait to split and stack on a cold early December Saturday and go in to " grandmas" hot cocoa and lunch and cookies!

Firewood is just an excuse for being a family.

42 now and burning since we bought the house in '03. I got more and more serious about it over the years. We upgraded to the Fireview in '09 and I have been a serious 24/7 wood burner since. I haven't bought wood since '08. I worked my ass off two years ago and got 3 years worth stacked. Now it is pretty easy to process 4 cords per year. I have gotten smarter about it and have bought a few tools to work more efficiently and safer too. Still splitting by hand, but I know that hydraulics are in my future, just putting it off as long as possible. I'll leep doing it as long as possible. If I have to buy wood, I will. As long as I stay ahead, scrounging or buying won't be a big deal if it is only a year's worth at a time.
I love the time and work that I put into wood burning. It is my main hobby and most of the other stuff I do (old truck, tractor) supports the hobby. I don't mind spending around $2000 less per year on propane either.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I been making firewood since I was a boy. Some of my best father-son discussions about sports, girls, grades, cars occurred working together making firewood with my dad. I raised my kids the same way. Probably the greatest days of my life are the stories, pranks, weird firewood stack forts, etc I had making firewood with my kids. They're grown now but still come around and help. We still try to work as a " team" whenever we can. Nothing better in life than being blessed enough to work along side your kids while they are growing up. You build a special bond. Nowadays I am waiting on the grand kids.... Can't wait to split and stack on a cold early December Saturday and go in to " grandmas" hot cocoa and lunch and cookies!

Firewood is just an excuse for being a family.

Yeah, it was the same with me. Cutting trees with my dad when I was young. He would take my brothers and me to these jobs. At first, all we were allowed to do was use the sledge and wedges. Incredibly, when we got tired and bored, sledge handles ended up hitting wedges and breaking. lol We worked a lot with my dad when we were kids. Tons of home remodeling, roof shingling, patios, cement, and wood cutting. Tons of carrying wood. My parents' first house was at the bottom of a long hill and guess where my dad wanted the firewood stacked? All the way in the back at the top of the hill. If I had to guess. it was at least 20 concrete steps from the driveway to the backyard, and then another 20 stairs from the beginning of the backyard to the very top of the backyard. To give you an idea of how bad it was, one day after it snowed when I was 6 years old my dad decided to strap me to skis at the top of the hill to teach me how to ski. Well, he forgot to teach me how to stop. Hit the two concrete steps right before the concrete landing in front of the kitchen door and blew through a locked kitchen door, shocking the heck out of my mom. We still laugh about it to this day, probably because I suffered nothing worse than some bruises.

I still enjoy working with my dad and my brothers, but don't tell them that.

Today, I was outside moving firewood around from the seasoned racks to the "to burn" racks and then I started unloading my truck from Sunday's scrounge. My 5 year old daughter came out and wanted to help me. I was thrilled. Made sure I saved all the small pieces for her and was shocked at some of the pieces she was able to throw off the truck. This was all white oak, and at this rate in a couple more years she will really be able to help a ton. My 3 year old son came out right after we finished unloading and I let him help sweep the truck bed and pick everything up with the dustpan. Work was a lot more fun while they were out there, and a lot less work.

Reactions: Standingdead
Yesterday I weakened my generic 36in fiberglass ax from over strikes so I purchased a Fiskars x27. I have a Harbor Freight manual, hydraulic splitter, but after seeing the bungee hook trick in YouTube I'm faster swing something. I have 2 cords now and am shooting for 4 cords for next winter to be safe.

Here's to a healthy back for many years to come!

Don't like golf
Don't watch much TV
Am a bit on the hyper side
Am 44 yrs old
Got truck, tractor a couple of splitters, chain saws....
Need the exercise
Love the out doors.
Family/Friends/Fishing take the top of the list, but other than that - what else should I be doing instead?

Yeah, it was the same with me. Cutting trees with my dad when I was young. He would take my brothers and me to these jobs. At first, all we were allowed to do was use the sledge and wedges. Incredibly, when we got tired and bored, sledge handles ended up hitting wedges and breaking. lol We worked a lot with my dad when we were kids. Tons of home remodeling, roof shingling, patios, cement, and wood cutting. Tons of carrying wood. My parents' first house was at the bottom of a long hill and guess where my dad wanted the firewood stacked? All the way in the back at the top of the hill. If I had to guess. it was at least 20 concrete steps from the driveway to the backyard, and then another 20 stairs from the beginning of the backyard to the very top of the backyard. To give you an idea of how bad it was, one day after it snowed when I was 6 years old my dad decided to strap me to skis at the top of the hill to teach me how to ski. Well, he forgot to teach me how to stop. Hit the two concrete steps right before the concrete landing in front of the kitchen door and blew through a locked kitchen door, shocking the heck out of my mom. We still laugh about it to this day, probably because I suffered nothing worse than some bruises.

I still enjoy working with my dad and my brothers, but don't tell them that.

Today, I was outside moving firewood around from the seasoned racks to the "to burn" racks and then I started unloading my truck from Sunday's scrounge. My 5 year old daughter came out and wanted to help me. I was thrilled. Made sure I saved all the small pieces for her and was shocked at some of the pieces she was able to throw off the truck. This was all white oak, and at this rate in a couple more years she will really be able to help a ton. My 3 year old son came out right after we finished unloading and I let him help sweep the truck bed and pick everything up with the dustpan. Work was a lot more fun while they were out there, and a lot less work.

Your post brought back a memory for me. My dad used to have us haul and stack the wood up a pretty good sized hill where he built a large semi open shed. " it gets more wind that way". Once my brother and I were grown up my dad took down the shed and built a new one between the driveway and house. I asked him why he moved the shed.... " I just put it there to keep you and your brother busy and out of trouble". Safe to say he did a real good job finding various ways to "keep us out of trouble " :)!

Reactions: Bster13
Your post brought back a memory for me. My dad used to have us haul and stack the wood up a pretty good sized hill where he built a large semi open shed. " it gets more wind that way". Once my brother and I were grown up my dad took down the shed and built a new one between the driveway and house. I asked him why he moved the shed.... " I just put it there to keep you and your brother busy and out of trouble". Safe to say he did a real good job finding various ways to "keep us out of trouble " :)!

lol - and your post there brough back some memories for me too. I was 14 when my parents bought a new house with 2/3 acres of grass. Us three boys used a push mower to mow the grass and each of us got 1/3 of the lawn. To keep it absolutely fair, the thirds rotated every year. Well, once all of us were out of the house, guess what showed up, a Craftsman tractor. My dad finally killed it after 10 years, so we just got him a John Deere from Home Depot.

Same thing happened with the sledge and wedges. Once we were out of the house, a 25 ton MTD Yard Machine splitter showed up from Home Depot. Thing is, my dad and I use that splitter together nowadays to split wood, but now that we are getting "older", I am working on plans/schemes to buy a welder and build a 35 ton horizontal splitter with a log lift. The heck with moving these huge logs underneath that vertical splitter versus just rolling them onto a log lift.

Status
Not open for further replies.