U.S. Drought Monitor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Last night there was a flood warning for my county because some places got over 2" of rain. I got occasional drizzling thru the day.

Flash flood warning - I'm dry.jpg

You can thank me for that, Dan. I just cut 8 feet out of one of my 6" primary drains, which collects all the rain water from my patio and half our roof gutters. I knew that as soon as I did this, we would finally get a reliable forecast for rain.

No problem, it just puts a little pressure on my to knuckle down today, and get the job done without distractions.

• Haha
Reactions: Dan Freeman
You can thank me for that, Dan. I just cut 8 feet out of one of my 6" primary drains, which collects all the rain water from my patio and half our roof gutters. I knew that as soon as I did this, we would finally get a reliable forecast for rain.

No problem, it just puts a little pressure on my to knuckle down today, and get the job done without distractions.
I knew someone had to be responsible, Ash! And I still haven't set up my 550-gallon rain collection tank, so I may be part to blame, too!

Reactions: thewoodlands
I'm not sure what the outside temp is but the sun is out, the spaghetti sauce is made, throw in two delmonico's with pasta for supper and I'll be full.

Today was my final day of the weight loss chit, I started out at 227.2 and weighed 205.6 this morning, 51 days is enough.

Well done. I am down 26# since Mach 15th. Feels good and I intend to stay at this weight.
Nice job. My plan is to not go over 210, I'll do three sessions a week on the treadmill...that should help me maintain the weight I want.

Over the 51 days, I've eaten plenty of wraps with just lettuce for lunch or even dinner, I plan on doing the same but sticking in some better meals in between.

Congrats to you two on the weight losses!

Same here, I am down 26 lbs. since March 1st. I cut out all obvious sugars (candy, cookies, cake, ice cream, etc.) and started intermittent fasting (20 fasting/4 eating because my insulin resistance is sky high). Hasn't been hard at all, and I haven't felt this good in a few years, but I still have more to lose. I am eating much better-quality food, too. I'd like to lose another 80 lbs. In some ways I feel like I am starting from scratch since the first 23 lbs. wer the 23 lbs. I put on after I broke my ribs last October. Want to get down to 175.

Well done. I am down 26# since Mach 15th. Feels good and I intend to stay at this weight.
Years back I let myself get up to 232 point something and lost 32 plus pounds, I didn't feel strong at 200 but that was probably because I lost the 32 pounds faster than I should've.

Nice job. My plan is to not go over 210, I'll do three sessions a week on the treadmill...that should help me maintain the weight I want.

Over the 51 days, I've eaten plenty of wraps with just lettuce for lunch or even dinner, I plan on doing the same but sticking in some better meals in between.
Grow some sprouts--packed with nutrition..tasty, too! 👍

Years back I let myself get up to 232 point something and lost 32 plus pounds, I didn't feel strong at 200 but that was probably because I lost the 32 pounds faster than I should've.

LOL. When I moved up to the Pocono Mountains in 1995, I weighed 175. I used to run 8 miles a day when I lived in NY/NJ before moving here. However, once I moved to the Poconos, I had to leave for work at 3:30 am and got home at 5:30pm. Running early or late posed becoming a "road kill" in the dark, and I was exhausted on the weekends. Running stopped, and I slowly put on the "Pocono Spread". (Very common here!) I went from 175 to 325 in a matter of a few years. Been battling ever since. I am down to 262 now and moving forward. I am determined to get under 200, even back to 175 at 67 y/o.

Yes, I have been careful to pace myself and develop new eating habits. That has helped make it easier. I like the change actually.

I like the change actually.
Me too! I feel more alert, more energetic, less fatigue, less aches and pains, and all-around betterment!

I don't know if I ever told you guys this "secret", and I know I am going out on a limb where I could be ridiculed for inappropriate discussion, but (LOL) I used to think I was going to live forever, and no matter what I did, I would be fine. Well, while I am older than some and younger than others, I realize the was just another "trap" all "former" youngsters fall into.

I am 67 now. Not in great health, but not in terrible health, and I do more now than ever to keep healthy. I am not looking to live forever. Hell, if I live another 20 years until I'm 87, I'll consider that a good run! Even 77 doesn't seem bad. (My dad died at 71 and my mom at 102).

Now, that I am retired, collecting a modest pension and social security, and on Medicare, and I have absolutely no debt and enough cash and resources to survive the upcoming and probable SHTF scenarios (OOPS! don't mean to get political), I am doing whatever I want to have a fun life, and that means my property, gardens and greenhouse, and that's the way I am going out!

Oh, if I lose a few pounds in the meantime, that's good, too!

I was in a eating drought so I'll post this here, feel free to move it.
This was supper tonight after 51 days of eating lettuce, chicken with a few steaks thrown in but never any pasta that I can recall.

I had them cut fresh at a local store (been in business over 100 years) coming back from my old hometown, 1.5 inches thick. Every thing was very good.

My treadmill sessions will be 12 minutes per, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. 210 and under is my goal.

IMG_0654.JPG

(My dad died at 71 and my mom at 102).
I'm in decent health, but this is similar, with my dad dying at 72 and mom at 100. Losing the 25 # was mostly changing eating habits so that there were no snacks and limited to a 1200 cal/day diet.

It did rain hard enough last night (maybe 10 minutes) that you could hear it on the roof, we'll take it. The last I looked they're calling for half an inch coming in later, I'll finally get the rain gauge out.

The meal with a ice cream cone was worth a 2 pound gain, my first 12 minute session on the treadmill was done this morning.

I went from listening to ZZ Top my final two weeks to Dean Martin the Capitol Years for my maintain mode.

The rain gauge is out, Accu is still calling for just over half an inch starting later today. Western NY and people in Ontario are getting a nice steady rain, hopefully that continues when it hits our area or anyone else that needs it.

Our contractors finally showed up today, almost a full week late. Then we got our first rain in 4 or 5 weeks, two hours after they arrived. Not much work got done, but I can't complain, we really needed the rain.