*Ugh - Starting Over - What Would You Do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If this were my fireplace I would try and find a rear vent freestanding woodstove that will fit and extend the hearth as needed. Inserts will need blowers to move heat unless you are standing in front of the window.

Line the chimney. Get the most eye appealing insert with the biggest firebox you and the other half can agree on and put her in there! Done. Enjoy.

With mantle clearance concerns and additional floor protection/extension requirement's I don't think I would goof around with anything else.

BTW the T5 you noted is a fine looking unit and it will certainly burn safely without power. Guessing your real time frame without power each burn season is reasonably short? For the burning intent you have explained here I would not sweat that issue at all. Good luck.

Reactions: BsFire
If you scaled the image kind of close, ie the surround will cover the opening and not all of the arch stones, I think that looks very nice. I think the big stones still give you the sense of the arched opening. You will have to run the power cord somewhere.

Yeah - it's pretty much dead on in the pic. I think the stone looks good too - and that way we won't have to mess with a custom surround.

We will need to have an outlet installed for the power cord (thinking off to the left of the hearth). I've been wanting to add an outlet out on the deck anyway. There is electric we can tap into under the deck. I'll have to talk to an electrician - but hoping that we can essentially run the power for outlet/insert from the outside in with the basement ceiling being finished.

I swear I read somewhere that this insert will still burn ok without power. I need to check into that. It's not a deal breaker either way.

Thanks!

Three things come to mind as you are planning/thinking about this:

1. Go ahead and get your wood supply now for next year and thereafter. Never to early to get wood and let it dry. My neighbor looks at my 5 cords of 2 year stacked and covered wood every day. Today he had a cord delivered by a local supplier, which I can guarantee is no under 20% moisture. This is just before Thanksgiving, no way he will have a clean or satisfying burn with that recent purchase. If you have 3 or 4 cords already cut, split and stacked, then good for you. If not put it on your schedule now as that may be just as important as what unit you select.

2. Consider your lifestyle. Do you have the time to gather wood. Tend the fire. Do you have kids or animals that can take time away from managing a stove. Some units like a Blaze King are 'set it and forget it' but may not have the visual appeal you desire. Others may look nice but require more attention to cutting the air intake, ash removal, loading and wood storage. Remember that this may be a commitment that you think sounds easy and then turn out to be more time than you expected.

3. Beware of the dark side of wood burning. Some get into this casually and then get consumed by how much they enjoy the warmth, the fuel and dollar savings, and the visual appeal of a fire constantly burning in ones house. If that is a possibility, then consider that when sizing a unit. Make it big enough to heat as much of the house as you can in the event you decide this is a really useful project and not just a weekend ambience element.

PS: House square footage is based on the above grade living area. Finished basements are never included in the living area calculation (even though they add value). You said a 5,000 square foot ranch, you really have a 2,800 sf ranch with a 2200 sf finished basement. That makes a big difference in descriptive terminology as well as helping advise as to potential units in your situation.

I appreciate all of this - thanks! I've been researching this for a few years. This site has been my go to - so I totally understand the importance of truly dry wood. I have a decent amount (although not enough) wood that's been split and stacked for a year minimum (some longer). It's going to take a while before we actually get this done. The installer is busy of course and we haven't even purchased the insert yet. So we're looking at a short season which will mean less fuel needs for now. I have a saw, splitter, lots of trees and plenty of space for stacking. I love being outside and splitting. I'm cutting more and splitting this weekend, that will go in the "next season" stacks.

In terms of heating as much of the house as we can... this will be to supplement the main level. We also have an open hearth that was built for a stove in the basement. I'll be adding a larger stove in that space next. We are starting with the insert upstairs because that's where we are most of the time.

Thanks for the heads up the square footage. In another post, someone asked what the total size of the house (upstairs and down) when we were looking to start with the basement stove... so I guess I had that number in my head.

Reactions: spudman99
If this were my fireplace I would try and find a rear vent freestanding woodstove that will fit and extend the hearth as needed. Inserts will need blowers to move heat unless you are standing in front of the window.

Totally get it - but were going to put a stove in the basement. Thanks!

Line the chimney. Get the most eye appealing insert with the biggest firebox you and the other half can agree on and put her in there! Done. Enjoy.

With mantle clearance concerns and additional floor protection/extension requirement's I don't think I would goof around with anything else.

BTW the T5 you noted is a fine looking unit and it will certainly burn safely without power. Guessing your real time frame without power each burn season is reasonably short? For the burning intent you have explained here I would not sweat that issue at all. Good luck.

All sounds good - thanks! I'm kind of done over thinking it. I've always like the T5. There is a local shop that has one on display and cranking away. We will be a little short on the front door/floor clearance. Plan is to use a safe rug for now. We are going to refinish the floors this coming year, so will add a row of stone on the floor in front of the hearth.

Great to know about the T5 running safe with no power! We rarely lose power, so it wasn't a deal breaker in the end.

Thanks again!