Unable to Control Burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maplewoods

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2009
Central Il
Greetings,

I have an 8 year old Jotul 3 CB. I am unable to control the hot burn with the primary air control slide. This problem has started all of a sudden. As I stated, I am unable to get a slow steady burn. The flames are high and are collecting/swirling up around the baffle which is uncharacteristic for this stove. I checked the load door gasket and ash door gasket. The load door gasket was good and tight but I did replace ash door gasket. Checked the casting with a light and could not find any cracks. The primary air control slide is opening and closing as it should. Any info concerning this hot burn problem would be appreciated.

Thank......Maplewoods

maplewoods said:
Greetings,

I have an 8 year old Jotul 3 CB. I am unable to control the hot burn with the primary air control slide. This problem has started all of a sudden. As I stated, I am unable to get a slow steady burn. The flames are high and are collecting/swirling up around the baffle which is uncharacteristic for this stove. I checked the load door gasket and ash door gasket. The load door gasket was good and tight but I did replace ash door gasket. Checked the casting with a light and could not find any cracks. The primary air control slide is opening and closing as it should. Any info concerning this hot burn problem would be appreciated.

Thank......Maplewoods

I'm not sure what you mean, but this flame characteristic is the ideal secondary burn on mine. Could it be that you finally have some good, dry wood and you stuffed the stove? What temps are you seeing on the stove top and on your pipe?

If it is possible for your to have additional air leaks, many people have luck finding them using an incense stick. The flames will suck into an air leak with the stove burning.

pen

what is the stove top temp you are getting and what are the burn times you are getting?

pen said:
...using an incense stick. The flames will suck into.
Most people will blow out the flame after lighting it and just use the smoke to test with. Safer and lasts longer.

Thanks all for getting back to me with info.....

Your right, I agree it's a good high burn, but when I try and slowly decrease my primary air control to slow it down, it continues to burn very hot - more than in the past. I would think it would decrease after 15 or 25 minutes. It does not. As for a burn indicator I purchased a Rutland - 5 or 6 bucks - only one I could find on short notice and it appears not to work. Sets on 100 and nothing else(layin it on top of stove). Will try and find another temp gauge. Maybe then I can answer your questions concerning the temp and burn time. I have used this stove for 8 years without this problem of not shutting down as I stated above. I do use solid dry hard maple and elm. I use the same wood to cook sap down every year. I use this stove to help with my other heat source - so it's not seen that much burning over the last 8 years. Thanks for the tips and a new temp guage will help me understand what is going on.............

Pull out the ash pan and see if there is compacted ash behind it. If there is, it might be preventing the ash pan door from closing tightly. Break the compacted ash up with a poker and vacuum it out. The other thing to do is clean out the interior of the stove very well and examine for any seams opening up. In a totally dark room, with a partner, shine a very bright light at the seams from the inside while your partner is on the outside reporting any sign of a light leak. Also check the baffle and burn plates for any sign of warpage or poor fit, especially at the back of the stove.

Get a decent stove top thermometer too. It could be that the stove is burning ok, but we'll need more description of the burn to determine that. Were there any other changes, cleaning or fixes done this season besides the ash pan door gasket?

Your gaskets may be good, but they may not be sealing...
Try the dollar bill test on both doors when they're closed..
If that dollar bill comes out easily, you may hafta make an adjustment on one or bothof the door latches...

LLigetfa said:
pen said:
...using an incense stick. The flames will suck into.
Most people will blow out the flame after lighting it and just use the smoke to test with. Safer and lasts longer.

My brain fart. You said what I meant to.

Thanks,

pen

maplewoods I had the same symptoms on my stove and found that the glass clips had loosened and the glass moved down enough to make an air gap at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.