Unbelievable

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like stove manufacturers are just welding/fabrication shops. Nothing more. They make their dealers earn their cut. Actually nothing wrong with that provided a competent dealer network exists.
And design engineering and testing firms as well. You are somewhat right but there is a whole lot that goes into it before fabrication.

I guess I should have kept everything in one thread. pacific Energy finally over night shipped me a new door and ash pan they’re also supposed to send me an extra baffle and door gasket kit. I’ve been burning the stove and getting awesome burn times of around 12 hours on just 3 large splits of cherry/oak arranged like a pyramid it seems to burn better and longer compared to 6 medium sized splits. This stove works best with a good bed of coals , it takes a while to really get going from a cold start. I haven’t packed it totally full yet as I’m still experimenting to find out what works best and how hot it gets. I’ve done 2 ,12 hour burns with stove top temps staying around 375 to 425 through most of the burn with the damper directly on L of course I left it on high until the load really got going good. I’ve never seen secondary combustion like this stove puts out it reminds me of an old gas cook stove my mother had when I was a kid , everyone of the holes had blue flames shooting out of it. The temps were around 30 when I did the 2, 12 hour burns and it kept my house around 70 degrees which is right where I personally like it. There are a few things I don’t like , the glass got dirty really quick and I have to leave a slight crack in the door during start up to get it going and the door is really tight and hard to close.

Reactions: ispinwool
I forgot to mention one other thing I thought was unusual , with stove top temps of 425 the double wall pipe was warm but you could lay your hand on it without getting burne, my last stove using same pipe would melt your hand at those temps

Oooof! Yeah, you'd want that to be covered.

Yes, their "lifetime warranty" covers one baffle per stove per lifetime. I'm going to take the old one to a buddies, who it a boiler mechanic, to see if we can fabricate a new one, out of heavier steel.

I forgot to mention one other thing I thought was unusual , with stove top temps of 425 the double wall pipe was warm but you could lay your hand on it without getting burne, my last stove using same pipe would melt your hand at those temps
It's not unusual. Higher efficiency = less heat going up the chimney to heat your neighborhood. A big problem with stoves that can get very high efficiency at low burn rates (mostly catalytic stoves) is that the pipe runs so cool you get condensation before the exhaust reaches the top of the pipe.

getting awesome burn times of around 12 hours on just 3 large splits of cherry/oak arranged like a pyramid it seems to burn better and longer compared to 6 medium sized splits...stove top temps staying around 375 to 425 through most of the burn with the damper directly on L
That's the kind of burn I'm looking forward to in the T5, but I haven't got any big splits dry over there yet.
Those stove temps are way lower than what I'm seeing..T5 want to go to 700 with the air cut all the way. Occasionally we can keep it about 650 if we manage not to get too much wood burning, with the small-to-medium splits we have.
Yes, their "lifetime warranty" covers one baffle per stove per lifetime. I'm going to take the old one to a buddies, who it a boiler mechanic, to see if we can fabricate a new one, out of heavier steel.
Keep us updated.

So glad there's a good ending.

That was waste heat going up the pipe. Pick up a probe thermometer for the stovepipe if there isn't one already in place. Stove top temp is less meaningful than flue gas temperature, especially on cold startups. I like to cruise our stove in the 400-500º stovepipe probe temp range unless it's very cold out.

Status
Not open for further replies.