Under stove wood storage design. Soliciting comments.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

newatthis

Aug 28, 2014
Charlottesville, VA
I am designing a wood stove installation in a new construction (addition to main house). Space is at a premium, and so I am trying to design space for wood underneath the stove. Due to other considerations, we will need side walls, and I was hoping to tile everything (over cement board) for ease of cleaning. So, tile for hearth, inside of side walls, and back wall.

My original plan was to have a steel box fabricated to use as a stand, but the builder suggested a stone ledge for the Jotul F100 (215 lbs.) I have drawn a rough picture of this concept. The stone ledge will have to rest on wood.

My questions:

Does the wood supporting the stone ledge (2"x15" total dimension on either side) need to be covered with cement board even though it will be under the stove, and not subject to heat?

Will a piece of stone support at 215 lb. stove the way it is drawn?

Is this a reasonable design/use of space?
IMG_1950.JPG IMG_1952.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people will tell you it's too risky to store wood under the stove and they have a good point. Personally, I've done a lot of far riskier things that I felt comfortable with - every situation is different. If I were short on space I might do that - but only if the wood was on a rack so an errant ember on the hearth couldn't get to it. And I would keep the wood tucked far enough under that embers couldn't fall on top.

As to the stone slab, stone is a natural product, as such it has variations, faults, etc. Some are easy to see, some not. I absolutely would not support a stove on a natural stone slab. That's not to say it wouldn't work but I wouldn't do it personally.

At the very least I would want some steel u-channel supporting the slab crosswise such that if the stone did fracture the stove would still be supported.

Reactions: Sailrmike
Why not keep the wood outside until you are ready to load? You'll find there's a lot less dust and debris, but whatever you'll do, you'll get some.

I like keeping stoves on the floor. Raising the center of gravity isn't always a good thing.

I was thinking the same as Woody, but there are many stoves out now that offer storage underneath built into them.
Personally, I would not want to deal with the added dirt, debris & critters. The side walls are only going to take away from the beauty of the stove. I find it much cleaner & easier to store the season's worth of wood outside my back door on the porch. Open door, take a few steps, load an armful of splits, walk back in, load stove, sweep up debris, into the fire they go, and done.

That big box under & around the 100 is going to make it look dwarfed even smaller than it is. Just my opinion, but wouldn't look right for me. But you do what you like and want, that is what is important.

Personally, I would not want to deal with the added dirt, debris & critters. The side walls are only going to take away from the beauty of the stove. I find it much cleaner & easier to store the season's worth of wood outside my back door on the porch. Open door, take a few steps, load an armful of splits, walk back in, load stove, sweep up debris, into the fire they go, and done.

Com'on Hogwildz, seriously? You sweep up debris every time you stoke your stove;?

With the name "Hogwildz", I always envisioned you throwing a few splits in, closing the door, and swiping your hands together a few times quickly to send any dust and debris to the hearth as you turned around with a contented "job well done" look on your face. >>

That big box under & around the 100 is going to make it look dwarfed even smaller than it is. Just my opinion, but wouldn't look right for me. But you do what you like and want, that is what is important.

I see your point there. A cute little stove like that would look better sticking out in the open, like it was on a display pedestal or throne.

Com'on Hogwildz, seriously? You sweep up debris every time you stoke your stove;?

With the name "Hogwildz", I always envisioned you throwing a few splits in, closing the door, and swiping your hands together a few times quickly to send any dust and debris to the hearth as you turned around with a contented "job well done" look on your face. >>
Yep, I keep a small hand broom near the insert at all times. Swept after each load goes in. Good, dry wood is always messier than wet stuff. Shat be falling off on the way to the stove even. Of course during this remodel, the whole house needs a big ol cleaning. I do swipe my hands together when done though. It's part of the ritual.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I see your point there. A cute little stove like that would look better sticking out in the open, like it was on a display pedestal or throne.
At least do away with the walls, and let the stove shine.

I got a cloth log carrier from amazon ( rectangular cloth two sturdy handles)... keeps the debris down

Reactions: Heftiger
A Rubbermaid tub will keep the mess contained from stack to stove.

Well, everyone has their own preferences but I would rather have a few wood chips and bark than have an ugly plastic box to look at. I try not to bring bad smells into my home.

Well, everyone has their own preferences but I would rather have a few wood chips and bark than have an ugly plastic box to look at. I try not to bring bad smells into my home.

It's possible to have your cake and eat it too ... I have a plastic tote to catch the dirt, bark and bits of wood, but it's inside my wood box so it's not seen.

Thank you all for your valuable comments. The side walls are necessary because I have a family member with epilepsy.

One reason the builder suggested the stone slab is because the original plan was to have a fabricated steel box under the stove, but the stove seller said something about how the stove could slide on the steel if something/someone fell against it. We have a plan to secure the front of the stove (a spark guard that will fit into the ends of the wall) but the thinking was that stone would resist stove slippage better than steel if there were a fall. The builder specifically suggested "honed bluestone." Any comments about slippage?

It's possible to have your cake and eat it too ... I have a plastic tote to catch the dirt, bark and bits of wood, but it's inside my wood box so it's not seen.

That solves most of my issue with aesthetics but I would still have to see it every time I opened my wood box. More importantly, it would still be off-gassing plastic smells in my home where I prefer fresh, woodsy smells.

Thank you all for your valuable comments. The side walls are necessary because I have a family member with epilepsy.

One reason the builder suggested the stone slab is because the original plan was to have a fabricated steel box under the stove, but the stove seller said something about how the stove could slide on the steel if something/someone fell against it. We have a plan to secure the front of the stove (a spark guard that will fit into the ends of the wall) but the thinking was that stone would resist stove slippage better than steel if there were a fall. The builder specifically suggested "honed bluestone." Any comments about slippage?

Bolt the base of the stove to the stove support?

I can understand wanting to protect a family member. Our son had epilepsy. Still, our stoves have never had walls protecting them or him. Given the nature of the disease it is very hard to predict where or when a seizure may occur. They can occur anytime at any place.

Last edited: