uninsulated liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
There is also not enough room for the required 1" of pour in insulation required
I was thinking when he switched down to a 6" liner.

Does the building code vary? I'm getting mine installed and my installer says the never put insulation around liners. He was upfront about this. I am also told I can just use my existing clay liner rather than dropping down a SS liner.

Maybe there are some variations between the US and Canada. Is your installer WETT certified?

Maybe there are some variations between the US and Canada. Is your installer WETT certified?

Yes, WETT installer. I should ask my insurance tomorrow I guess. They didn't seem to care much as long as its WETT certified. My SS liner is 6" and the interior diameter of the clay liner is 6.8"x8". He is worried an insulated liner will not drop. He did say if I get draft problems, we can pour down some insulation after the fact.

bholler have you ever seen a liner held up by concrete or masonry like in the op's photo? That does not even seem like it would be code compliant according to any liner manufacturer.

Yes the Canadian requirements are actually a little more stringent than here.

Yes, WETT installer. I should ask my insurance tomorrow I guess. They didn't seem to care much as long as its WETT certified. My SS liner is 6" and the interior diameter of the clay liner is 6.8"x8". He is worried an insulated liner will not drop. He did say if I get draft problems, we can pour down some insulation after the fact.
It is much more about safety than performance.

bholler have you ever seen a liner held up by concrete or masonry like in the op's photo? That does not even seem like it would be code compliant according to any liner manufacturer.
Yes and the masonry is always cracked. There is just no way around it the liner is going to heat up and expand much faster than the masonry. That means either the masonry has to crack or the liner has to collapse

You sure it's not the pre-insulated liner that has an additional liner around the insulation to protect it?
See that hose clamp a couple feet down? Looks like they had to splice in another piece.
Looks like it might be just rigid chimney pipe below that and instead of buying enough rigid, they just put on a piece of flex to reach the top.
Hard to tell from a pic, but the pipe below doesn't look any bigger than the flex..
Keep in mind that I have a hard time trying to even light a fire,
how does your stove draft?
I forget what you said previously, crater22, how tall is your chimney?
Ahh I just assumed that was a 6" in an 8x8. If that's an 8" it has to be in a 12x12 so there is room. Good catch highbeam
Plenty of room to just pull the liner he already has and insulate that..sounds like the cheapest option.

crater22, i had to look up where brookville is to see if it was anywhere near fort wayne. theres a company around here, i guess now defunct currently, that would have pulled this from what i have heard. they have quite a few legal issues and, from what i have been told, change there name every so often once the bad press takes down their name. sorry you didnt get what you paid for. hope youre able to get them to make it right...errr...actually probably refund you...doubt you want them anything more to your house!