Until this morning I never noticed......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is nice to see, a woodseller that actually is selling non-green wood!

Welcome to the addiction.

BTW, a peavey is a tool for rolling over logs.

Ramcononer said:
Backwoods Savage said:
Sounds like a winner. However, (and I don't want to step on anybody's toes) I know this fellow is a friend but still, most folks who own wood selling business do not dry wood like we do or is necessary. It makes sense to them because splitting wood and then stacking it up to dry, then loading it onto the truck for delivery is extra time, extra handling and takes lots of space. Therefore, they either convince themselves that wood needs very little time to dry or else they think if a tree has been cut down for a year the wood is dry. Nothing could be further from the truth! Wood doesn't dry except on the very ends until it has been split. So generally, wood still needs a year after being split before burning.

Wood will indeed burn well after being split and stacked for a year but it will burn even better after 2 years. Last year we went from burning wood that had been split and stacked for 7 years to wood that had been split and stacked for only 1.5 years. Huge difference in the way it burned!!!!

fwiw, there are those who will call us crazy (and they are probably right), but here is one big benefit we enjoy by burning wood that has had time to dry: We are on our 5th year of burning wood in our present stove. We have cleaned our chimney one time for about a cup of soot: no creosote. Yes, dry wood rocks. And once more, I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings. Just giving a head's up.

I have read many of your posts and respect your knowledge very much. No feelings hurt at all. I appreciate you watching a newbies back. His wood is split, stacked and dried for at least 1 year, but much of it is older. Ive been friends with his son for years and we used to hang out in the wood stacks and sneak cigarettes and beers. Sometimes, we would hide stuff in the stacks and find it 2-3 years later.....I have attached some pics of his operation. Its pretty impressive. I would love 2 and 3+ year wood, but currently I have to purchase wood. Luckily I know his product and feel way safer than buying off a random on Craigslist. I hope the attachment works??

That is so good to see and hear of a wood seller doing things right. My hat is off to him for sure.

oldspark said:
"Wood will indeed burn well after being split and stacked for a year but it will burn even better after 2 years. Last year we went from burning wood that had been split and stacked for 7 years to wood that had been split and stacked for only 1.5 years. Huge difference in the way it burned!!!!"
What kind of wood was that and what do you gain by having wood sit around that long, I'm all for having the wood nice and dry but it does not take 7 years. Stacking in cubes like you do wil have an effect on the drying, I do not like giving new people wrong ideas on how long it takes to get wood ready to burn.

If we get that far ahead then we stack all the rows tight together. As for gain, you won't notice any gain after about 3 years but I did notice a big difference when we were out of the old wood and went to the shorter dry times. The wood simply burned better after being dried for so long. We noticed that it also burned really well in the Woodstock stoves at their Open House. Tony will tell you it was a bear to split though.

Ramcononer said:
Got Wood said:
Ramcononer said:
Literally driving to work this morning looking out my car windows saying. OVER THER!! another downed tree...wait a bigger one over there....!!!! Happy to have chevy pickup and a 5x10 trailer!!

Hook, line and sinker .... your a goner

Welcome to the club

My little homelite chainsaw does not stand a chance!

I need more power!

Yep'
You're "done for".
You already are a member of a good support group here. That's good.
Some pointer to help:
Get some pallets first, saves re-stacking.
Be straight up with your wife, confess right away, then she can tell the family & friends. I mean, they'll still say your nuts, but not when you're around.
Learn to post pictures, (didn't happen with out them)
We'll coach you as the problem becomes worse.
We've been thru the beginning stages, it's not as bad as it feels now,
" it gets much worse!!! " :lol: LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.