Unusual NorthEast Mosquito Activity?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Splitting wood last week and they were out all day...got really bad around 4-6 PM. Chalked it up to one last big hatch before the frosts come. The females are hungry and looking to lay some more eggs

Totally agree. It was friggin unbelievable this past weekend. During the install I literally was carrying around 2 bottles of OFF and spraying myself, my brother and my dad as we worked.

+1 on the ThermaCell. Home Depot for like $20 bucks.

If global climate change is for real, sounds like you folks won't have to move to Houston, it's moving to you!

Until a few years back we had relatively few mosquitoes in the DC area, then the asian tigers showed up. Small, fast, active in the day, and mostly stay down by your legs - if you're standing up you don't always even notice them until you start scratching the next day. I've spent parts of the last few weekends crouching down building a patio, so they were quite apparent. I left my thermacell in MI, but the Coleman mosquito coils (same chemical) cleared them out pretty well. Walmart has the coils for around $3.50.

BTW - a tidbit I learned about the asian tigers: they have a very short range. If they are in your yard they are either breeding in your yard or the neighbor's. So being vigilant about standing water can really help. Unless, of course, it rains every $@#! day.

Status
Not open for further replies.