Unusual summer here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Indianawood

Nov 28, 2019
Northern Indiana
We are having a very unusual summer here. Much wetter and not as sunny. My wood kiln isnt looking good. Im getting mold on the ends of some pieces.
We are usually sunny and 90s.
Should I leave it or go natural?

D2F658E6-3A9B-49E8-85AD-C2884C714CD2.jpeg 30592BCA-DC09-438E-BC5E-D40A9836E9CF.jpeg

Top-covered is good, but the plastic wrap on the sides is blocking ventilation through the stack.

Yes, without the sun it is having the opposite effect.

Reactions: Indianawood
About 3 years ago we had an extraordinarily wet year in PA. I didn't have a wood shed, just a bunch of holz hausens (holz mietes) that were a mix of beech, birch and hemlock. None were top covered. All of the wood was seasoned 2+ years and ready to burn before the spring/summer/fall rains. I had a heck of a time getting the birch and beech dry enough to burn. In fact that fall I ate some oyster mushrooms that were growing on the beech. I like mushrooms more than the next guy, but not on my damn firewood! The hemlock burned well interestingly enough and seemed largely unaffected by the rain. I built a wood shed the next summer that holds a years worth of wood. In hindsight, top covering the wood would have made sense. Nevertheless I moved the last of that year's wood into the woodshed, and the fungi have had more than their fill. Though the wood is dry, there isn't much density left to it, especially the beech. My kid remarked how light some of the wood was and wondered why I growled when she said that. I turned it into a bit of a science class and we pealed back the bark to look at the mycelium underneath. If wet summers would be our norm, I'd move towards top covering everything.

Reactions: Indianawood
If it were me I'd leave it alone
Just make sure that there is good ventilation underneath
Sunny hot weather will return and it will kill any mold
Just me and my nickles worth