UPDATE on rod/fire pot jam and a THANK YOU!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DobieMom

Hearth Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
Eastern Shore of MD
DexterDay...you were absolutely correct about my stuck open fire pot/jammed rod...as were a few others that chimed in with the same thoughts :) Thanks to each of you for teaching me to be a better housekeeper ... guess I wasn't 'scraping the floor' as good as I thought I was! :red:

slls...I'm off to view the piece you created for scraping :)

I'm glad you got it fixed. I did not know how else to explain this problem. This is something that should be done at LEAST weekly. I clean my pot daily. I could go longer but I am anal also.
Congrats. Have you checked or siliconed your wall thimble?
Good luck with that smoke smell. I had it the 1st year, then got my OAK, and sealed the stove and the base of the stove so it duidnt leak.
Hope I didn't offend you in any way. After reading my own posts, I could see how you would get mad at the person telling YOU what to do.
Again, Congrats to the easy moving clean-out Rod.

DexterDay said:
I'm glad you got it fixed. I did not know how else to explain this problem. This is something that should be done at LEAST weekly. I clean my pot daily. I could go longer but I am anal also.
Good luck with that smoke smell. I had it the 1st year, then got my OAK, and sealed the stove and the base of the stove so it duidnt leak.
Hope I didn't offend you in any way. After reading my own posts, I could see how you would get mad at the person telling YOU what to do.

Oh no...honest, wasn't a 'mad hair' raised on me LOL and no offense taken! I was having fun! I'm old, short and half blonde (the rest is getting gray ;-P ) so I NEED folks with experience to TELL me what needs to be done and I VERY MUCH appreciate you helping me! Don't ever hold back...I'm pretty thick skinned LOL

Yes, I checked and the thimble is fully sealed on the OUTSIDE. I don't have any silicone to do the inside now but WILL get that taken care of. I do clean the pot DAILY but will now start doing it TWICE daily...lesson learned ;-) Haven't smelled any smoke on start ups tonight...will monitor that ...maybe whatever he taped this morning fixed it?

Thanks again! :)

With my 1200i I find if I use the rod to clean the pot right after shut down, while it's still hot it works just fine. If I wait till its cold it jams. Really never have to scrape it.

DobieMom said:
DexterDay said:

Oh no...honest, wasn't a 'mad hair' raised on me LOL and no offense taken! I was having fun! I'm old, short and half blonde (the rest is getting gray ;-P ) so I NEED folks with experience to TELL me what needs to be done and I VERY MUCH appreciate you helping me! Don't ever hold back...I'm pretty thick skinned LOL

Yes, I checked and the thimble is fully sealed on the OUTSIDE. I don't have any silicone to do the inside now but WILL get that taken care of. I do clean the pot DAILY but will now start doing it TWICE daily...lesson learned ;-) Haven't smelled any smoke on start ups tonight...will monitor that ...maybe whatever he taped this morning fixed it?

Thanks again! :)

If the ash dump door was a bit open? You might have gotten the smell from that. I used to get a smell too with my little quad. Smoldering pellets in the ash pan somehow let some smoke out of it. Never did figure out where though?

Yeah, but isn't it normal at startup to smell alittle bit ?? I usually get a smell with no smoke, only alittle at start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.