Updating solar system?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well, that was not encouraging. I didn't see a major difference when running just one channel at a time.

You any good at polishing headlights with a buffer? A less drastic first option might be to hit the panels with a clay bar first.
no idea if it would help or not but it’s a cheap fix if it helps...might practice on the one that’s delaminating first in case it scratches it all up!

If you have visual access to the microinverters, the Enphase's have a LED that blinks but its not particularly bright. Not an option on roof mounts but adequate for a pole mount or my wall mount. A ammeter and a Current Transformer is cheap to install on one of the leads prior to entering the main panel for continuous monitoring or overall output. There are various home energy monitors that can easily be be expanded to include the PV output.
Our microinverters are accessible so I can easily see if their indicator lights show that they're working or not.
I found a relatively inexpensive volt/current/power meter that I installed alongside the breakers.
1625682051224.png

I'm somewhat surprised to see that our system output has dropped off quite a bit from the max observed (8 to 6.5 kW). I'm going to keep an eye on it but am wondering if the season and/or dirty panels are the cause. Our system is angled at our latitude so our current angle of incidence is not ideal but I would not have expected this much drop-off in the summer. Of course, temps are higher and there's less precipitation (so the panels are dirtier), I'm pretty sure our system output was actually higher than this around the time of the winter solstice.

Side note: This applies only to the 30 panels we have on a string inverter. Another 6 panels operate independently with microinverters.

Edit: our panels are ground-mounted so I've been thinking I'll wait until the next good rainstorm and try and clean the panels with a cloth squeegee on an extension pole - we'll see.

Last edited: