upgrade fireplace fans

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanww

Dec 10, 2015
MI
In another thread I mentioned we bought a new house with two really nice fireplaces. I've addressed the upstairs one in that thread, but I need some help with the downstairs one here.

I'm not exactly sure what the correct terminology is, but it has two lower side intake vents and an upper center output vent. There are two fans located just inside each of the lower vents. The fans have 4 blades on them like a room fan, ceiling fan, or boat propeller, not like the squirrel cage type blowers. They are variable speed and have a thermal switch to turn them on. Everything works fine, they turn on when it gets warm enough, but they don't feel like they blow very strong. The air that comes out the top vent is very warm, but you can barely feel it a few inches from the vent. After burning for 4-5 hrs there's no noticeable temp increase in the room.

My question is can I upgrade these fans to something stronger? Do you think that will help, or is there just too much air to move? Do I have to get the same type of fan, or will the squirrel cage type be better? Can you point to some models that will work?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.