Upgraded to a 372XP

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

claydogg84

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2013
Salt Point, NY
I found what I thought to be a good deal on Craigslist and pulled the trigger. 2011 372XP with 24" bar and chain. He wanted $475, but ended up settling for $450. It's in pretty decent shape aside from him throwing a self tapping screw into the upper left pull start hole which also anchors the chain brake. The threads seem repairable, but I have to order the shim and bolt. I pulled the muffler, and the piston as well as head both look to be in great shape. I don't have anything in the yard worthy of this machine right now but I did cut some smaller stuff - 12" diameter black locust and boy this thing is loud. I have been running a 455 Rancher for the past 2 years and after watching my friend purchase a brand new 372XP this week I got an itch. He paid $950 out the door btw, :eek:. So what do you guys think, did I get a good/fair deal? Is there anything else I should take apart and check?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:
That's a big step up from a 455. I'd say you got a good deal. They are strong runners. 24" bar works great but I like mine even better with a 20" bar. I bought an X-Torq model and non-X-Torq with the intentions of trying both and keeping the one I like better. I ended up selling the XT model and got $550 for it in similar condition to yours. I honestly did not notice much difference in power between the two but the non-XT is low hour and very good condition so I could not bring myself to sell it. Getting harder and harder to find nice non-XT versions these days.

That's a big step up from a 455. I'd say you got a good deal. They are strong runners. 24" bar works great but I like mine even better with a 20" bar. I bought an X-Torq model and non-X-Torq with the intentions of trying both and keeping the one I like better. I ended up selling the XT model and got $550 for it in similar condition to yours. I honestly did not notice much difference in power between the two but the non-XT is low hour and very good condition so I could not bring myself to sell it. Getting harder and harder to find nice non-XT versions these days.

Thanks Clyde. Mine is X-torq. I wanted a 562XP but their weren't any on Craigslist at the time.

Thats a pretty good deal. If the piston and cylinder look good you're ready to go. Maybe replace the air filter too? I've always kind of wanted a 372 to go with my 044 but can't justify having two saws the same size right now. If the noise bothers you try some of these http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight...426996356&sr=8-1&keywords=howard+leight+plugs
in conjunction with earmuffs. I use them cause they have the highest NRR I've seen. Soon you'll be able to tell the difference between a homeowner saw and pro saw from a half mile just by the sound of the muffler :)

Reactions: claydogg84
Happy new arrival with your 372. Needing/wanting a bigger saw with the work that's waiting, I auditioned the 372XP-XT and the 576XP-AT-XT. The 576 won, because of the silky mechanical smoothness and the "auto-pilot" fuel system. Just got the chance to run a few tankfuls through it this week, with a 24" bar wearing semi-chisel, bucking some red oak logs up to ~26" diam. That was its first real exercise. Blew right through that oak like it was serenely PO-ed at the world. Noodled some rounds like a CO2 laser.

Got the squeaky-new saw with a 28" bar for $825 out the door. It'll earn its keep bucking big stuff and milling the prime lumber candidates. (Being retired, I still have to "feed the need", you know.) It's a keeper, just got to get it dirty on the outside.

"XT" means "strato-scavenged". If I have a choice, I'll only buy a "strato" saw, because of the fuel endurance and the air-quality improvement around the saw. I breathe that air. No-brainer, IMO.

Reactions: claydogg84
I bought an X-Torq model and non-X-Torq with the intentions of trying both and keeping the one I like better. I ended up selling the XT model and got $550 for it in similar condition to yours. I honestly did not notice much difference in power between the two but the non-XT is low hour and very good condition so I could not bring myself to sell it. Getting harder and harder to find nice non-XT versions these days.
What is wrong with the X-Torq models? I caught my brand new 372XP on a Black Friday sale shipped w/no tax with a 24" bar and 2x chains and 3 bottles of gas for $757.99. I am very happy with it.

Reactions: CTYank
What is wrong with the X-Torq models? I caught my brand new 372XP on a Black Friday sale shipped w/no tax with a 24" bar and 2x chains and 3 bottles of gas for $757.99. I am very happy with it.

I think he just kept the non X-Torq model because it had super low hours on it. Sounds like you got a sweet deal of yours. My buddy got a 6 pack of oil additive, a scabbard, and the 2 year warranty for $960.. Oh, and his has a 20" bar.

Nothing. Just personal preference. You got a great deal for a brand new one.

Absolutely nothing wrong there. Some don't understand that it's not about power output, but is about: reduced emissions and greater fuel endurance. The XT label just means "stratified scavenging" and what that implies. Maybe it has something to do with a flatter torque curve? Dunno. Really like it on my new 576SP-AT-XT if you know what I mean.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
I have two 75cc 372 XPW's here and I love them. Been using one for more than 10 years and it's my go-to saw for most everything above 8" diameter. Below that I generally pick up the 346XP.

Reactions: 2PistolPacker
Finally got a chance to use the saw, wow... The difference between the 372 and my 455 is absurd. It's pretty loud, but I can deal with it and can't imagine ever needing a bigger saw for what I'm doing.

Reactions: CTYank
My buddy got a 6 pack of oil additive, a scabbard, and the 2 year warranty for $960.. Oh, and his has a 20" bar.
Ouch, I got a scabbard too and a 4 year warranty.

Finally got a chance to use the saw, wow... The difference between the 372 and my 455 is absurd. It's pretty loud, but I can deal with it and can't imagine ever needing a bigger saw for what I'm doing.

I had a 455r until a yr ago. Worked just fine for me. Then I got a Dolmar 6100, which is on another level entirely- about 50% faster in a side-by-side. Strato also, and runs almost forever on its 30 oz tank. Handles a 24-incher easily. Compression gauge sez 215 psi. Bud now has the 455 and likes it.

Then, a couple months back, I got a 576XP-AT-XT just before the snows called a halt to woods-work. Finally got the chance a week back to get it up to speed & temerature in some big red oak. Yet another big step upward. Extremely powerful. Blows through logs and its 23 oz. tank in impressive fashion. (More power needs more fuel.) For all that power output, the 576 is amazingly vibe-free, like the Dolly, and makes things much more pleasant fot a couple of injured shoulders. Some milling is in its future.

Not inclined to brag on price, but the 576 was a tad over $800 w/28" at a well-known dealer in Shokan NY. Just another reason to like it. Now to beg him for an "XP" hat. (Bob will ship to anywhere in reach- just saying.) Neither the Dolly nor the 576 are noticeably louder than the 455, but I still wear hearing protection at all times with them. Ditto the visor on the helmet. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.