372xp rebuild/refurbish.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think its second one down for like $109?

Once you are ready to assemble, you place 4 small pieces of solder on the 4 sides of piston. Place cyl on with no base gasket, tighten, run piston up slowy, "squishing" the solder. Remove cyl, and measure the part of the solder that is dented. If its over .025 then run with no base gasket. Make sure to seal it with something though

Sale Price $99.99

Screenshot_2013-09-03-15-39-29.png

Well what I saw was was $109 will look again? . Its 62 in Ohio? Dang its 90 here!

Yeah. Was Hot all weekend. Today is a nice day. It was 68° in my car on the ride home.

Sticker shipped today. Should be there a couple/few days

Thanks.

Say I go chicom. We talking the same quality as there saws? There many brands I see on eBay

Not saying I am. First choice is a good used jug off another diner and a re ring. Pulling muff in an hour or so.

Hate to spend $40 and get a year out of it.

MSRP on a 372xp is $859.99. If you are going to rebuild something that you have $0 in buy good parts. Weedeaterman sells quality stuff at reasonable prices.

But first take the saw apart and find everything else wrong. You might have a parts saw and may need to look for a saw worth rebuilding.

When I bought that Toyota I just dropped a motor in I knew it would need one sooner rather than later. I also knew it had a good frame, cab, and drivetrain. Make sure that thing has good bones before you start ordering stuff.

Point taken. I did put my cart ahead of the horse. I ordered a new chain brake handle. Oh well when I get one to build I'll have a new plastic part!! .

Point taken on the parts. I'll have $100 in a 372 not a bad deal.

I agree 1,000%!! Chicom Aint the same. You may get a yr out of it? You may not. I guarantee the quality isn't the same.

Plus, Caber Rings.... Cabers!!!

OK pulled the plastic off, plug and muff. Cyl is scores and piston scored.
These are not the best pics but the lines on the cyl are light score marks and the lines in the middle of piston are light scoring. I will buy that set off weed eater man unless I find a decent diner with other issues. If the other is better I'll build it and this is a parts saw.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378249175761.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378249175761.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 176
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378249192838.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378249192838.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 185
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378249217436.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378249217436.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 194
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378249229704.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378249229704.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 192
Honestly? With better pics, that cylinder is salvageable. A little muratic acid and a Q-tip will take the transfer right off. Then you only need an aftermarket cyl? Through weedeaterman and a set of Cabers, now your under$50..
But..... You still need to do a pressure or vac test. You need to know why it blew in the 1st place. Bad seals? Leaky base gasket? Or maybe the guy was having an off day and straight gassed it and it needs nothing. But its always better to check amd know. Than invest money, rebuild, and 3 hrs in, it seizes again?

Meteor, NWP, Hy way, etc. Lots of good pistons and/or cyl kits stateside.

Get some better pics and repost. Or better yet, tear the cyl off and take some. Always touch your screen on where you want your phone to Focus. If you just point and click, they wont be nowhere as clear as touching the screen in the area where you want focused and clear.

I got a Droid does that work for them???

I was gonna year it down bit went I side. I have to clean the grime off before I tear it down. But I will bet more pics. You mean the cyl is OK and I will just need a piston right??

But remember the cylinder is stripped on the plug hole. So I at least have to find a used one that better.

Yeah. Nevermind. Buy the entire kit.

As for the Droid. I had a Bionic, now have an S4 Galaxy. Yeah. Tap the object in your screen that you want to focus on. You should see it focus and a green square or circle

Not this cheap Kyocera the tapping thing and green box does not happen. I don't have a Droid but an android based phone.

I'm not thinking g it was straight gassed but it could of been. It may just be from hours? This saw was potentially run for many hours a day for several years.

Like maybe 4 hours a day plus.

Are the Hy Way kits and similar not China mfg? ;)

If you were to delete the base gasket with .025" of squish to start, I'm pretty sure you would be well under what's considered "safe" piston to head clearance no?

That's .025 without the gasket? I would measure without 1st. Just because so many have already done the 372 and never had a problem. Most are in that neighborhood. Without a gasket.. Some run right at or under .020. Thats a lil close in my opinion. But they are also pumping about 210-220 PSI!!!

Pulled it down. Well the top off. Pulled piston. Rings are welded on a portion. Lots of blow by. And some melting?? The side of piston in the pic is where the rings are stuck. The pic looking down the top shows the buildup there is a low spot on top and a lip on the edge.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378256305843.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378256305843.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378256319458.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378256319458.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 147
I have ordered some Chi coms. And I never got a Hy way kit. There are numerous threads on AnotherSite about them. Many comparisons and such. Even if they were close? The Caber rings are well worth the US side kit. Plus shipping is in about 2-3 days. Not 2-3 weeks, and you only save a few bucks and... You dont support our economy :(

I say weedeaterman. Randy and Henry are top notch.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
Here is the cyl. I'm no expert but it seems salvageable IF the plug hole was not stripped. I can't dell anything that shows in the pic with my finger or nails?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378256673125.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378256673125.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 185
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378256684798.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378256684798.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 164
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378256695963.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378256695963.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.