372xp rebuild/refurbish.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um doaent look good. I looked on a parts diagram. That stud looks like it goes in from the inside of the crankcase!! That must be the extra clank I hear banging around in the saw!! Don't think I'm going to split this one now. Going to swap everything over to the original saw. Which is actually a year newer saw!! Why is splitting g them so dang difficult! Grr.

I think on that saw the 'right' way is to split the case... But they might be accessible from the oil tank if you can fish them through? If not it might be easier to swap the p&c to the other case if its in good shape like you said... You can measure squish and delete the gasket at the same time ;)

Whatever you do take care of your source for saws... Hard to find deals on xp's

Reactions: ScotO
Heck I was going to take him to lunch today. He was so far out in the boonies he had sent a guy to get BBQ. He told me he would be back I'm a minute with the BBQ and to stay and eat. So he gave me a saw and gave me lunch!

These 2 saws are from 2 different loggers.

Yep u fish it through oil tank if ur lucky!!

OK knocked the stud out of the one with the bad P/C and put it into today's saw. Used a tool grabber/fisher tool, the thing that u use when u drop a socket deep in the engine. I used this to fish the bolt to the hole. Then used nuts larger than the shaft of the bolt, to pull against. Going to swap the best of stuff to the one from today. Its not as rigged. The guy I got the first saw from has his crackheads work on stuff. The guy today uses a shop. He told me he spent $250 on this saw today a few years ago and they trashed it so no more! Just buy a new one.

The first one I got had no heat shield or muff gasket on the muffler!! I mean who would this k a gasket that was in their for a reason was not needed?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378510237882.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378510237882.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 122
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378510251700.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378510251700.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 142
Won't be long before you put that 390 up for sale on cl...

Not sure if I will sell it ever. That was my first saw.

OK compression on the newer saw today. Well its actually a year older model wise, anyway.
Its reading right under 140psi. Good?? Bout to Google it. I think that's good buff to run.

Quick peeks at some AS threads say 140-150 on a healthy saw. This one is really like 138 ish. Looks good in that dept. Will clean the grime off and keep swapping parts. Today's saw got last weeks saws recoil start, muffler, side clutch drum bearing and sprocket. I think it will keeps its plastic and everything else at this point. Will give it a drgreaser bath and then air bath.

That's cold psi. I know it makes a difference, but not sure which is what should be tested and what corresponds to those numbers I saw posted?

Hot will read less. 140 aint bad at all. A set of Cabers and base gasket removed, will yield in the 170 range? A little spicier when MM'd. :)

Either way, good work.. I will send the compression tester out if you really want it? I was dead serious about a trade? I have 2 and only need one... ;)

Reactions: clemsonfor
Yep send it on. I haven't asked about a second you know what ;-) but knowing this guy an. The fact he said he had several I know I can get them.

For those of you keeping tract this is the third logger i have brought up. Basically my whole job is selling timber. I know most of The big loggers in about a hundred or two mile range. I deal mostly with what you would call the big or first rate ones.

OK got the saw back together and running. Runs good up top and down low on the idle. Won't idle if I tip it up vertical. Need to wait till my tool comes in. Have the other Carb I can swap but still need the tool as the settings are all out of whack.

The list now includes the handle from first saw on second. The chain gaud and recoil start off first saw. Chain tent ion device from second saw in the firsts cover. Air filter from first on second till I get a new one. Bar and chain off first one. Stud for bar out of first. A few screws from first to replace missing ones on second. Muffler from first on second. A spring from First on the cylinder of the second. Crank case and handle and P/C of second is the main part of build. And have a new chain brake handle I ordered from the bay.

Again. I will have to wait till I get an adjustment tool to either set this Carb or swap and or rebuild/ clean this one.

Here are some pics of it back together. Even this, what I thought to be good adjuster is busted it looks like?? These are really cheap easily destructed adjustment systems, it seems like. I need to order one now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378596204773.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378596204773.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378596259200.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378596259200.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 124
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378596273936.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378596273936.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 144
Whats your total into it? Actual money spent...?

Because I know that even in bad shape? They'll pull a few hundo.

Congrats. Even if you had to spend $50-$100? That would be a damn fine saw for the price.

All in as it sits I have $0.

But I am buying a new air filter, and chain adjuster. But that stuff can be needed. On any saw, ESP air filter. If I need a Carb kit that's another. $13 but I think I can adjust it to run. So once I have it ready for a work saw I will have about $25 on it for the parts and shipping share, then maybe 2 hours of dissasembly testing, an. Reassembly. And another hour or so here :).

Yep... A $25-$35 372XP!! There is definitely a "You Suck" compliment in order here!!!

Congrats man. Not many can pull that off. I hope you bought the people who gave you them a 6 pack of the finest around :) Those are people I like to surround myself with also.

Reactions: mikefrommaine
The first saw came with him twisting my arm to take 2 at mason jars with me!!! Didn't really want it but felt bad not taking it. Clear and apple pie Flavors. The second guy I was going to take to lunch and he ended up giving me lunch that the brought to the woods!

Reactions: DexterDay
Nice. Sometimes good things happen to good people. Keep surrounding yourself with people like that and you'll go far.

OK I forgot I did but a chain brake o
Handle off eBay. For $18 shipped.

Said it fit 372xp but did not fit it was hitting the top plastic. They said they were not going to pay for return shipping so instead of loosing my money I decided to cut a bit off the back till it fit.. got that dome and was button g it up and noticed that there was a rand fuel line hanging under the carb platform. So I pulled that stuff and looking at the spare one I had I could tell where it went and I was able to org it on with a screwdriver. It would still run so I knew it was a return or vent or something. This explains all the gas all over the saw when I had it drying in sun yesterday ripped up on end.

Back together now.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378669634911.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378669634911.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 148
  • uploadfromtaptalk1378669664413.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378669664413.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 140
Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.