Upgrading 1988 Heatilator to 2016 Pacific Energy FP30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
they
sent 4 able bodied men........turns out they will need them

Attachments

• unloading fireplace.jpg
    unloading fireplace.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 230
  • moving fireplace.jpg
    moving fireplace.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 249
  • fireplace wrestling.jpg
    fireplace wrestling.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 236
  • fireplacethroughdoor.jpg
    fireplacethroughdoor.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
But.......things go south fast......after getting unit through the door, the second time lifting the unit with the nylon straps they ran under the carriage, one fails, bringing all of it down in the 18" section between sheets of OSB. Only 4" above the floor, but it left a healthy divot, and put a small bend in the front corner of the surround. !@#$%!!

Attachments

• floor damage.jpg
    floor damage.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 202
  • fireplace dent.jpg
    fireplace dent.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 201
This is followed up by the discovery that the adapter that connects the firebox to the chimney is missing. Turns out, never ordered......double !@#$#%%%$$#@!. This has been sitting, waiting since November, install scheduled two weeks ago, and nobody reviewed what pieces were needed until arriving on site. My confidence is not overwhelmed.

So, maybe Thursday. Which is a real shame, because it is almost 40 degrees and sunny. Couldn't have asked for better weather in February.

This gives me time to ask some opinions. The FP30 comes with only one duct for a fresh air intake. Is there any reason why I would want to have the second one added?
Followup question, what is the best type of flexible duct to make this connection. Unit does not come with ducting or recommendations. (Observation to this point: Unit doesn't come with much of anything for installation instructions, which is a bit alarming, since it doesn't look like my installers have put in one of these models before.)

So here it sits.

Attachments

• fireplace in LR.jpg
    fireplace in LR.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 227
  • PE3.jpg
    PE3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 231
  • PEFP30 undercarraige.jpg
    PEFP30 undercarraige.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 214
Reactions: mcdougy
This gives me time to ask some opinions. The FP30 comes with only one duct for a fresh air intake. Is there any reason why I would want to have the second one added?
Followup question, what is the best type of flexible duct to make this connection. Unit does not come with ducting or recommendations. (Observation to this point: Unit doesn't come with much of anything for installation instructions, which is a bit alarming, since it doesn't look like my installers have put in one of these models before.)
What's the chimney length? I highly doubt 2 intakes is ever necessary, may be giving the option as to which side. From what I have read you def. want the fresh air intake piping to be insulated. This is a common spot for issues with moisture. The pros will direct you on the actual pipe, im thinking really any flex with good insulation works.
Sorry to read about your follies with install. S*#t does happen, believe me I know, trying to drill a well and there has been many mishaps, but I continue to have faith

What's the chimney length? I highly doubt 2 intakes is ever necessary, may be giving the option as to which side. From what I have read you def. want the fresh air intake piping to be insulated. This is a common spot for issues with moisture. The pros will direct you on the actual pipe, im thinking really any flex with good insulation works.
Sorry to read about your follies with install. S*#t does happen, believe me I know, trying to drill a well and there has been many mishaps, but I continue to have faith
pretty sure total chimney height will be 18', and there were two existing intakes from the old Heatilator. Looks like I need to seal one up before Thursday.

Do you have the manual? The instal instructions look quite adequate to me? I just gave them a quick once over and I even caught the note in regards to requiring the chimney manufacturers fireplace anchor which apparently your installers never noticed.

Sounds frustrating so far. I hope it gets sorted smoothly for you.

Do you have the manual? The instal instructions look quite adequate to me? I just gave them a quick once over and I even caught the note in regards to requiring the chimney manufacturers fireplace anchor which apparently your installers never noticed.

Sounds frustrating so far. I hope it gets sorted smoothly for you.
It was pretty apparent no one had pulled the manual out of the box before this morning. Which really is no excuse, because it looks exactly like the one I referenced online for rough in.

Last edited:
It was pretty apparent no one had pulled the manual out of the box before this morning.
That's a shame....nothing like investing your hard earned cash and having folks show up that it's just another day to them......again well guys showed up not having a clue how deep other wells in the area were.......I feel your pain.

I can't fathom operating a business and sending four guys out to do an install and no ones double checked the parts or looked over the installation manual? Call me crazy, but I can't see that being very efficient from a business perspective.

Hopefully they come back with a strong finish.

I can't fathom operating a business and sending four guys out to do an install and no ones double checked the parts or looked over the installation manual? Call me crazy, but I can't see that being very efficient from a business perspective.

Hopefully they come back with a strong finish.
Not the way I do it on my jobs on campus. Don't want to say I never miss ordering something, but I can't say I've ever rolled onto the jobsite without going through the owner's manuals of what I am installing ahead of time, especially if I didn't quote the job.

Only 1 OAK is needed as per manual. Block off the side not needed . They just give you the option which side you want use.
I have half of mine blocked off because I get such a good draft. But my chimney is 26ft. And most is inside the house.
My OAK is insulated and vapour barrier for about 12 inches from the wall where it comes in. I have a install thread going with pictures at the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My guess it is spell check for " vapour barriered"
;lol thanks. Some of the spell check posts are getting pretty obscure lately.

Things went much smoother on day 2. Incredibly cooperative weather again. 45 degrees in Iowa in February? I"ll take it!
Have to say, I'm pretty darn pleased with my rough opening framing. It was spot on. The installers didn't like the tall hearth from a lifting stand point, but love it from an operational one. Perfect height for loading wood and cleaning.

Attachments

• FP30onhearth.jpg
    FP30onhearth.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 199
My bump out for the stone surround and extra reinforcement of the header on the inside of the chase created the need to use two 15 degree offsets to maintain 2" clearance on the chimney, which kind of sucks, fiscally, but shouldn't cause too much grief from an operational or maintenance aspect, should it?

Attachments

• offset.jpg
    offset.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 189
Outside air intake...

Attachments

• outsideairintake.jpg
    outsideairintake.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 191
itsy bitsy tiny new chimney... total length ended up being 17'.

Attachments

• new chimney.jpg
    new chimney.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Virgin firebox. Take a good long look, it will never appear this pristine again.FP30 interior.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody have any clever safe ideas on how to trip/ bypass the thermal switch to see if my blower wiring is good?