Upland 207...Should I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Idomeneus

Sep 15, 2011
Upstate NY
Looking for a stove for occasional burns in my old house. Would not be the primary source of heat. House is 2200sq. ft and old and drafty. Saw this Upland 207 for sale for under $300. Description is:

Upland model 207
Takes up to 26" Logs
7" Flue
31"wide x 18" deep x 30" tall
Has 2 adjustable secondary-burn heat baffles, and 2 internal rear baffles.
50,000 btu
All new gaskets, show-room condition.

Question: Good stove? Is this too big for just occasional use? I love the side door which none of the VC stoves I have looked at have.

Attachments

• Upland207a.jpg
    Upland207a.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,979
  • upland207b.jpg
    upland207b.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,490
Nice find! It's a fine old stove. Should be ok for occasional use, just be sure the chimney is clean and safe to use. Install with the proper clearances for stove, piping and hearth and burn only seasoned, dry wood

It's quite a different design, simpler. You probably are not going to find a new (old) Resolute or Intrepid anytime soon. This is a real find. Contact @webbie for more details. He bought and ran the company!

Do you think it is better than a VC Resolute or Intrepid?
I think it is because it has a reverse burn design. You slide the baffles away from the side door (far right) so as the air comes in the side, the exhaust flow has to move towards the side door with the intake against normal flow. For this reason you don't keep adding fuel or build small fires. You fill it and let it burn down. If you want an open fireplace with screen in place, slide baffle plates to the sides so it is open in the center. Don't overheat or abuse it. The large rear panel is a single piece of cast iron that can crack with uneven heat. You can still get the baffles, but they aren't cheap.

So I just found out the 207 is available and I perfect shape. Question...does this stove only have a top vent option or is there rear vent too.

Sent from my PURE XL using Tapatalk

Top or rear. If you Google Upland 207 "Images" you'll get pictures of both.

And the baffles actually close the opening down to 6.

I gave an old one to a neighbor and was horrified one day when I walked into his basement to find he feeds a log about 5 feet long into the end of the stove and shoves it in as needed. Too lazy to cut his wood I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.