Urgent - jotul 3TD back burn plate replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Jul 23, 2018
Ontario
Hi everyone, I have searched the forums but the information is dated and pictures no longer work. I am urgently looking for someone who has done a burn plate replacement on a Jotul 3 TD or similar at some point. Context: we are selling the house and a number of repairs need to be done before January 4th lest a hold of 5000 be made! Repairing the back plate of our Jotul 3 is the last big one. The good news is I have the plate on order should be in any day. The bad news is, I have no clue how to go about doing this - I mean this stove went out of fashion before YouTube was hers anyone willing to take me through the motions? Much obliged!

Have you removed the inner side plates?
I haven't worked on one of these in YEARS,
but IIRC, the back plate is held in place by the two sides.
Screws shown hold the back to the bottom.

Have you removed the inner side plates?
I haven't worked on one of these in YEARS,
but IIRC, the back plate is held in place by the two sides.
Screws shown hold the back to the bottom.

correct I have to remove the side plates first - however they seem held in place quite tightly ?

Do they move at all?
Have you tried driving them upwards with a brass or lead hammer?
They may just be held by years worth of ashes...
They do, they get stuck a bit at the top but I haven’t tried HARD... I’ll try harder when I have the back plate. Wondering if I should loosen the screws holding the side walls to make things easier.

I don't think so. Read farther into the manual under "Maintenance."
The lower right side of page 13, last paragraph.

"At the end of the heating season, remove all of the ashes from the stove.
Take out the burn plates..."

I would think that means they are NOT held in with fasteners....

Reactions: Featherbrained