US Stove /Ashley USSC 5502m ER7 error code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jwoot

Nov 17, 2009
East Coast
Hello,

I recently picked up a US Stove /Ashley USSC 5502m and it is throwing a ER 7 code on startup. I checked around for this code and it shows as being a blown fuse for the combustion motor. The combustion motor works if power is applied directly and it also spools up for a while if On is selected then the error comes. I also checked this with another known good combustion motor with the same result. Obviously also checked the fuses :) first took all of them out and checked for continuity with a multimeter. Also advanced the order of the fuses to see if the problem followed and still get the ER7 code.

Honestly not as familiar with this specific stove and information on this seems a bit thin. If you happen to have any thoughts, insights,ect they
20211030_201503.jpg
would be appreciated :)

20211030_205159.jpg

Only three things I can think of is loose wire/moplex plug , bad triac on the board or loose fuse holder. Unplug the white plug from the control board inspect it for loose wire pay special attention to number 10 pin orange wire. Trace orange wire all the way to blower. Also trace white wire from blower back to the power supply plug. Hard to test the triac maybe Ssyko knows a way. Check the fuse holders on the board to see if they are still well soldered or if they hold the fuses tightly. You might try jumping the vacuum switch but if it was vacuum it should throw a E2 not E7 but sometimes when the switches themselves go bad stove and do weird things.

I checked the connectors for the fuses and they appear to be fairly tight and properly set. I'll check the vac sensor for giggles...might not do anything but won't hurt. Worst case I'll pick up another board for it in the future...but would prefer not to have to spend that money if possible lol

In any case...thank you for the input :)

I checked the connectors for the fuses
Did you check the soldering joints were the fuse holders connect to the board? What does the stove do in test mode?

To run this test the UNIT MUST BE COOLED OFF. Power up the unit by plugging in the power supply cord
to the back of the unit. Press the on button and the circuit board then press and hold the Off and Auger
Delay buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds. To advance through the test press the on key. If the Heat
Range Light is on during every test check Hopper Switch Wires.
1. Exhaust Fan Output Test- The display will show “drift”. The exhaust fan is turned on full then
reduced to a level just above the typical minimum pressure switch setting. The ON LED indicates
whether the pressure sensor is detected. If the pressure switch is not detected, the fan ramps to full
on for two seconds then returns to the previously established level if the pressure switch closes. If
the Draft Fan Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Draft Fan LED will
be lit and the other three top row LEDs will be off.
2. Room Fan Output Test – The display will show “rfan”. The room fan is turned on full. If the Room
Fan Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Room Fan LED will be lit and
the other three top row LEDs will be off.
3. Igniter Output Test – The display will show “ignt”. The igniter motor is turned on full. If the Igniter
(AUX) Fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the AUX LED will lit and the
other three top row LEDs will be off.
4. Auger Output Test – The display will show “augr”. The auger motor is turned on full. If the auger
fuse is not blown and the fuse detection circuit is functioning, the Heat Range LED will be lit and the
other three top row LEDs will be off.
5. Hopper Switch Test – The display will show “hppr”. If the hopper switch is open (lid is open), the ON
LED will turn on otherwise, it will be off. If the hopper switch is wired in series with the auger, this
test is not valid, and the validation of the hopper switch should be done in the previous Auger
Output test.
6. Thermostat Input Test – The display will show “stat”. If the thermostat input is closed, the ON LED
light will be on, otherwise it will be off.
7. Flue gas Thermistor Test – The display will show the fluegas temperature in degrees F. This should
read 54° F
8. AC Frequency Test - Displays the measured AC frequency in hertz followed by the letter “H”.
This should read 59, 60, or 61H
9. Watchdog Reset – The Watchdog timer is tested to ensure that the board can be reset. The message

Also you could try to turn off fuse error codes in the C codes C 17.

C Codes
To adjust the operation constants, press the hold the MODE and AUGER DELAY buttons simultaneously
for 3 seconds. The display will show “C-1”. Use the HEAT RANGE UP or HEAT RANGE DOWN buttons to
change the constant number (see the list of vales below). When the desired constant is displayed, press
the ON button to toggle between viewing and editing the value. While editing a parameter, use the AUX
again to return to the constant number list. Press the OFF button to exit the operational constants
mode.
 C1- Reset to defaults (hold Mode and Auger Delay buttons for 3 seconds to reset all to defaults).
 C2- Fuel Lbs. per Hour HR 1 (0-5.0) – This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range
setting of 1. The default is 1.75 lbs.
 C3- Fuel lbs. per Hour HR 9 (0-5.0) – This is the fuel rate in pounds per hour for a heat range
setting of 5. The default is 4.5lbs. The fuel rates used between setting 1 and 5 are linearly
interpolated between these two settings.
 C4- Draft Fan Level HR 1 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 150
 C5- Draft Fan Level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the draft fan output level for a draft fan setting of 9.
The default is 350. See next parameter for disbursement.
 C6- Monitor Hopper Switch (0-1) – If this parameter is set to 0 (default), the hopper switch input
is ignored. If it is set to 1, the hopper input is monitored, and if the hopper is opened, the auger
will stop. The delay LED will flash when the hopper is opened.
 C7- Ramp Seconds for increasing level (0-300) – When the heat range setting is adjusted, control
will ramp from the current setting to the target setting to avoid abrupt changes in the outputs
that could cause problems with the flame quality. The ramp seconds value sets the amount of
time to spend on each heat range setting (1-9 pseudo ranges not 1-3 user ranges) as the current
setting is ramping toward the target. If the current setting is ramping down toward a lower
target, the ramp value is half this number. The default value is 90 seconds.
 C8- Startup Minutes for detecting Warm Stove – (10-60) this is the amount of time the control
will wait for the stove to reach the warm temperature (110 Degrees F) after the stove has been
started before shutting down and reporting an Error condition Err3. The default is 30minutes.
 C9- Over temp Set point – (0-500) this is the temperature the flue gas can reach before an over
temp condition exists. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the control will
stop auguring fuel until the temperature returns to a safe operating point. The default is 445
degrees.
 C10- Cutback Set point – This is the temperature that the flue gas can reach before a cutback
condition exists. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the control ramps
down the heat range according to the auger ramp seconds value. The default is 430 degrees.
 C11- Room fan on set point – (0-300) this is the temperature that the measured flue gas must
reach before the room fan turns on. This variable also serves to indicate to the control that the
stove is warm. If the measured temperature is higher than this set point, the stove is considered
warm and will not create an Er3. Whether or not the stove is warm also determines if the unit
will recover from a power failure. If the stove is warm when the power is lost and cold when it
returns, it will shut down with an Er4 error. The default is 130 degrees.
 C12- Cold stove set point – (0-300) this variable is used to determine when the stove is cold and
ready to be shut down. If during the shutdown sequence the measured temperature is less than
this value, the stove will stop running the fans to cool it off. The default is 110 degrees.
 C13- Room fan level HR 9 (0-500) – this is the output level applied to the room fan for a setting o
1. The default values is 300/500.
 C14- Room fan level HR 9 (0-500) – This is the output level applied to the room fan for a setting
of 9. The default value is 500/500. The room fan output levels used between settings 1 and 9 are
linearly interpolated between these two settings.
 C15- Auger load time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the fuel is
augured into the burn pot during startup. The default is 6 minutes.
 C16- Starter on time (0-30) – This variable is used to control the length of time that the igniter is
turned on during startup. The default is 8 minutes.
 C17- Ignore fuse errors (0-1) – This variable can be used to ignore errors detected by open fuses.
By default, it is o (do not ignore the vacuum switch), but can be set to 1 for diagnostic of
emergency operation purpose.
 C18- Ignore vacuum switch (0-1) – This variable can be used to ignore the vacuum switch. By
default it 0 (do not ignore the vacuum switch), but can be set to 1 for diagnostic or emergency
operation purposes.
 C19- Bump rate in pounds per hour (0-0.5) – The bump rate defines the rate of fuel to be
delivered when the unit is over temperature or in shutdown to prevent burn back, Since this
stove design isn’t conductive to burn back, the default setting is 0lbs. per hour, but can be
adjusted to a maximum of 0.5lbs per hour.
 C20- Purge time (0-120) – The purge time defines how many seconds to run the auger to purge
it on power down or shutdown as the stove moves from a warm state to a cool state. It is
intended to push and partially heated pellets still in the auger tube out. By default, the auger
will run for 30 seconds, but can be set between 0 and 120.
 C21- Enable serial communication (0-10 – By default, serial communication is not enabled (0).
Set this variable to 1 to enable communication.

Reactions: SidecarFlip
Giving away the secrets... Shame on you...lol

Reactions: jwoot
I ended up picking up a new board and as soon as it was in stove took right off. And if wondering...the photo was after a dry run and discovering it had a bad ignitor as well. Should have removed all of the pellets before igniting :)

As for the old board...when I get some time this weekend I am going to put it back in and test with the info Arc provided (thank you sir :) ) . Also can use the fuses as a test point. Actually have another similar stove with a bad board to if I can get both of these to work it would work out well :) Worst case... I have a good stove/a parts stove and new info learned. I'll follow up once I know more just incase it might help someone in the future.

Thank you as always

20211101_194651.jpg

Reactions: ARC