USA made stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I swear to you folks . . . not all of us dyed in the wool Maniacs are like this. ;) . . . although I must confess . . . I too love my Oslo. :)

The question is not btu output, the question is length of burn time. In mild weather 5,000 btu/hr could be totally adequate. Can and does the Encore reliably do a 24 hr burn at low heat the way a BK does?

I thought the question was about US made stoves;)

Reactions: Ashful
The bigger steel/cast iron Jotuls are made in Gorham, ME. I believe the pure cast stoves are made in Norway.
How do you like your F55 ? We love the f50 ! There isn't to many people with the F55 yet to talk to and I am curious.

Pete

How do you like your F55 ? We love the f50 ! There isn't to many people with the F55 yet to talk to and I am curious.

Pete
Well...umm...I have no idea yet. I am building a house right now that will have the f55 in it. I bought one while it was on sale, but it's still at the dealer waiting until I have a basement to put it in! :eek:

I spent a lot of time looking at the Summit, the T6, and the f55. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those. What it finally came down to for me was: I liked the door adjustment on the Jotul and it was made in Maine. They were using one to heat the stove shop and it certainly looked to be performing well. That's all I got...

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Jotul. Lopi, VC, Regency, BK, Woodstock and many others are all fine stoves that do what they are designed to do in admirable fashion, when run by a mildly competent owner.

First and foremost, we have our stoves to heat our homes. All have efficiencies within about 20% of each other. So our most important inputs in choosing a stove are: cost, heat needed (tightness, size, layout and insulation of our homes is a big factor here, as well as climate), and lifestyle (how often can we conveniently load our stoves?). Close behind come manufacturer's support, esthetics -we're going to be living with the stove for a long time., ease of use and maintenance requirements. Efficiency is also a factor - 10-20% less wood used becomes significant over time.

If we live in a climate where little heat is normally needed, or we are away from home often for over twentyfour hours, then burn times becomes very important, and the BK excels here.
If we are normally at home every night, burn time becomes a minor concern, beyond the ability to get good 12 hour burns.
If we live in a cold climate (zone 7 and North), Maximum cruising heat output becomes very important. Even heat output is also important. High heat produced over 12 hours on one load is desirable. And long cold afternoons and evenings leads to more activities centered around the stove, so esthetics and good fire view become more important.

Different stoves are better for different people in different climates.

Yes, A BK will heat your home just fine in the NE -but other than shoulder season, you must load it often enough (read BK's site for burn times at high output).
Yes, a Woodstock will heat your home mildly in the PNW -but other than colder areas or colder times, you must load it seldom enough and small enough. You may find it easiest to have one small fire a day.

Everything depends on your needs and preferences. .
No one factor is most important for everyone.

It is really great that we can easily buy excellent North American manufactured stoves.

Amen rideau!!! It is really nice that we have so many different american made stove options. I don't have many options when it comes to tools or almost anything else for around the house. Its usually one, many two options max and that's it.

Is that you pook?

I swear to you folks . . . not all of us dyed in the wool Maniacs are like this. ;) . . . although I must confess . . . I too love my Oslo. :)

The question is not btu output, the question is length of burn time. In mild weather 5,000 btu/hr could be totally adequate. Can and does the Encore reliably do a 24 hr burn at low heat the way a BK does?

Not nice children. Attacks like this or censoring (cRAIG ) do nothing for intelligent discussions.
How is heat measured ? Joules. Calories, BTUs. "Size of load", "burn time"---make no sense.
"Length of burn time" is variable ( obviously ). Species, draft, size of splits, seasoning, stove design, whatever. Not "burn time".
The VC Encore statement Mr. Green was about "COALING" , NOT HEAT PRODUCED. You know, when those pieces of wood get red.....like "coals".
How does anyone without a BK stove really know "burn time" AND heat produced ?
And, can BK marketing on burn time, produce measured heat ? Is the check in the mail ?
That's it. No need to pile on. Unless.......................

JMNSHO

P.S. One can't "love" inanimates, unless.........................

Not an attack, just an attempt to get a straight forward answer to a simple question. Without an answer I'll guess the answer is a flat out - no. Personal attacks are not present or acceptable.

Reactions: PapaDave
Enviros are made in British Columbia. I narrowed my search to an Enviro and a Lopi. I really liked both but went with the Lopi largely because it's made here in WA. I'm not a diehard "made in the U.S." shopper. But given similar prices and quality, I will try to buy things made here.

We love ya Mike, Englander too.

Nothing like messing with Mike on a dreary rainy day.

Said it before, if Englander would get back into Cat stoves I might have one.

im both inexpensive and easy to mess with, low maintenance even just ask my wife==c. been watching the weather up that way from down in sunny (but quite windy) Avon island NC. weather is a mess from Norfolk Va up i think. hope it clears up for you guys soon

PS if i could get the bosses to reinvent a cat line i'd onboard in an instant, alas...

Though there is plenty to dislike, even hate, about my VC Encore cat ( 2001 vintage), it will "hold" a fire in this northern Maine winter for well over 24 hours. This "long burn" is just a low red coaling of the wood. Little real heat comes from this. Not enough to heat anything in a average winter day here well below 20 ::F. What allows a low, cool fire is the combination of the cat lighting off, the thermostatic primary air control, and an auto thermostatic ( coil) secondary air. This is what ANY well engineered cat wood stove with thermostatic coil controls would do. No magic. BK stoves are much better designed than the complex highly developed VC cat stoves that pioneered efficient, clean burning products. No magic, just good design.
The difference between what you described above and a Blaze King is that the BK would still be making usable heat after 24 hrs. It would have been running low and slow for the past 24 hrs with ease, not a freak occurrence. Isn't 24 hrs about 2x what VC rated it at? Wow, that's impressive! Do you think we actually think that BK has some kinda of magic? We know how it works, no lesson in BK technology needed.

Maybe you should start a new thread about how great VC stoves are.
There are lots of great stoves made in North America, a quick search on this site will reveal the good, bad and the ugly.

Reactions: Highbeam and Ashful
Usable heat output vs burn time very subjective subject. on the order of ford, chevy ,dodge. Every stove gets the job done to some degree. Your mileage will vary. No absolutes too many variables. Bigger is generally better. A stove is an area heater not a whole house furnace. ( not to say that we do not use them as such).
My Englander NC30 does ok for me, on occasion it could use a sibling, but that is just my particular situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.